Great bug in forum??? --- 2

Great bug in forum??? --- 2

by luciano biondo -
Number of replies: 11
Probably there is an important bug that affects subscription of a forum. Read about this problem, otherwise your students could be unhappy without you know why (post is not so long, because you could skip to read the code examples).

In the code that moodle 2 sends to people who has subscribed a forum, there are 12 class tags, but no style instruction which tells what is the meaning of each class. In the gif I enclose, there is an example of code, as it is sent to subscribers of our forum.

As you see, the head is empty. If you try to write it manually in the html of the post, it is deleted by Moodle and it is not sent.

Instead, you can see in the gif an example of the code sent by Moodle 1.9.

As you see. there a rich head section with two css link. The difference in result is here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=187311

I thought that it is a bug and I opened a page in the tracker:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29152

but Mr De Raadt said that it is not a bug and closed the bug at once.

You could spent a lot of time to write a very nice page, because graphic is communication, and discover that your student has not received it. This is not fine. I think you should know this.

Thanks for your attention
Luciano

Attachment MoodleExamples.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to luciano biondo

Re: Great bug in forum??? --- 2

by Ray Lawrence -

Thanks, this has prompted me into action. I've noticed this but not got around to reporting. I've added to the issue in the tracker and asked for it to be re-opened.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Ray, could you open a new issue to tracker - I believe Michael won't even read it if somebody asks him to re-open the issue at the end of closed  won't-fix-issue.

See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=187581 for my reasoning wink

The significance of this kind of "problems" may not be the highest on earth for core developers or people like Michael who try to classify the huge amount of old and new bug reports but this kind of user experience issues can mean a lot to the end users who read the posts with modern email programs that can show also html and css.

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
  • If you want someone to see a comment on a tracker issue, you must make sure they are a watcher before you comment. (I don't konw what tracker permissions you need to add someone as a watcher, can you do it?)
  • Michael probably would re-open the issue if he had seen your comments, but he hasn't. Oh, and he is on holiday right now.
  • The people doing triage have to classify a lot of bugs quickly. It is quite reasonable that they make the occasional mistake, and the system works perfectly well relying on other people to catch the mistakes - provaiding they know how to communicate.
  • Just like, as developers, we know we have to accept a certain proportion of bogus bug reports coming in only be to closed Not a bug or duplicate, to make sure that all important bug reports get made.
  • However, when one of the occasional mistakes affects your bug, don't take it personally or read too much into it that is not there.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mauno Korpelainen -

All good points, Tim.

I had never added watchers (other than myself) but managed to add Michael to Watcher list - first I had to find the correct tab - then I tried to use his full name but tracker did not accept that name and the small icon on the right side of watcher adding box did nothing. Finally figured out that user name must be taken from user profile of the person and after adding "salvetore" to the field adding was successful wide eyes

Watch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

At the right of the bug, where it says Watch (7), you can click on the 7 (the current number of watchers) to add or remove people. But, removing other people without thier permission would be wrong. Clicking Watch lets you add or remove yourself as a watcher with one click.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mauno Korpelainen -

One more question, Tim:

If I needed add somebody to watcher of a bug that I created shouldn't I do that before I add new comments to tracker - or does tracker post also the old comments - like in this case Ray's wish to reopen issue - or does tracker post some kind of a note telling that somebody has added you to watcher of bug XXX ?

by Tim Hunt -

The tracker does not email out old comments. If you only add someone later, and have nothing else to say, just add a comment like

"Adding Micheal as a watcher, so he can re-evaluate his decision to close this bug (once he gets back from holiday)."

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by luciano biondo -
As suggested by Mauro Kopferlainen (here too: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=187581#p817780) I opened a new issue here:
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29738

Please, vote it.
Luciano
In reply to luciano biondo

by Tim Hunt -

Excuse me saying, but that is a really crappy bug report.

If you want this fixed, then you shoudl be trying to make it as easy as possible for whichever developer looks at the bug.

Therefore, describe the problem briefly, but precisely, in the bug report. Don't just add a million links so the bug report says "you need to read all these pages".

Linking the bug to the other bug, and providing links to further information is good, but the but report needs to be understandable on its own.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by luciano biondo -
Sorry. I wrote a comment with a new description of the problem. Look at it and advice me if this is not enough. Thanks.