Hot potatoes existing resources

Hot potatoes existing resources

by Tabitha Parker (was Roder) -
Number of replies: 3

Will existing hot potatoes resources be able to be used in quizport when we shift to moodle 2.0 - checking if I should stop people developing resources in hot potatoes now or not.

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tabitha Parker (was Roder)

Re: Hot potatoes existing resources

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tabitha,

certainly this is my intention. HotPot activities from Moodle 1.x should be usable just as they are in Moodle 2.0. QuizPort acitivties will be converted automatically to TaskChain activities.

Just at the moment, the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 is 90% done, and the TaskChain module is only 10% started. I expect the HotPot module will be ready by the end of this year. I hope TaskChain will be ready by the end of March 2011.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Neil Ballantyne -

Hi Gordon,

Good luck with the workload.

Do you know how to get Moodle to ignore the missing hotpot module on upgrade. I am stuck in a loop where Moodle tries to find a missing hotpot module at plugins check: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=163870

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Neil

In reply to Neil Ballantyne

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Neil,

I am sure you have already removed the "mod/hotpot' folder - if not please do so. Also, it may help if you make the HotPot module invisible:

• start up your favorite DB administration tool, e.g. phpMyAdmin
  • locate the "modules" table - if your table prefix is the default "mdl_", then this table will be called "mdl_modules"
  • set the "visible" field of the "hotpot" record to 0 (zero)
    UPDATE mdl_modules SET visible=0 WHERE name='hotpot';

If that is not enough, you could try going back to your 1.9 backup, delete the HotPot module (Site administration -> Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities), remove the "mod/hotpot" folder, and upgrade from there. Please be aware that this procedure may well wipe out all your HotPot activities.

If HotPot activities are important to you, you should stick with Moodle 1.9 for the time-being, and maybe write a nice letter to Santa smile

regards
Gordon