Navigation in the quiz in Moodle 2.0

Navigation in the quiz in Moodle 2.0

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This post may not make much sense unless you know what is going on in Moodle 2.0, but I would still like to ask for feedback.

Moodle 2.0 has a new, hopefully better, way of organising the navigation. There are two new blocks that appear on virtually every page. The Navigation block is what you use to navigate around the Moodle site. And then, if you are a teacher (or someone else with more permissions) you will also see the settings block, which contains the links for managing things.

The question is, which bits of the quiz should be in navigation, and which in settings, and how should the links be organised.

I just tried to come up with a solution: Development:How_the_quiz_navigation_should_work_in_Moodle_2.0, and I was hoping some people could take a look, and give me some feedback about whether I had got it right. Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Navigation in the quiz in Moodle 2.0

by Pierre Pichet -
Here is a teacher view of the question bank.
There a place to put the Navigation on the left
Pierre

Attachment prof_questionbank.jpg
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
With the navigation this could give something like this

Pierre
Attachment prof_questionbank2.jpg
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
When a teacher edit a quiz, where do you put the question bank and with what size?
You lost the "normal" navigation.
Pierre
Attachment teacher_quiz-edit.jpg
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
Answering these questions is also related to the "normal" screen size of students and teachers of very different countries.

Pierre
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Pierre Pichet -

Even the HP Mini 10.1" Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz 6-Cell Netbook (about $300) has a resolution of 1024 x 600 pixels.

So there is no problem, the minimum width of the actual edit quiz form with the showbank being around 700 px.

Pierre

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
Given the limit of 1024 pixel, adding the navigation at left will give something like the figure that follows.
We could eliminate the up reference to Question bank management as this could be accessed in the navigation at left.
This however limits the additional infos about the question text that can help to identify the questions.

Pierre
P.S. the question bank at right when used to edit a question should return to this page.
Attachment pagequiz.jpg
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
Just to say that I like very much the new settings and the easyness to go from one function to the other (editing, reports etc.).

Thanks to Olli Savolainen, Sam Hemelryk and as usual to Tim.big grin

Pierre

P.S. There is one little problem that remains, when you edit a question using the link in the quiz question list, the return url brings you back to the same editpage.
If you use the link from the question bank, the return url brings you back to the general question bank.

Attachment version21mai.jpg
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm pretty sure I have an open tracker issue for the return URL being broken. I just have not had time to fix it yet.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
The broken links were another problem created when the way to code url was changed and the quiz interface was broken.
Before the links were created as they are, when you create the new code for question bank.
This is why I add the comment.
Glad to know that this is on your todo list .

Pierre