Blackboard migration

Re: Blackboard migration

by Ellen Marie Murphy -
Number of replies: 8

Does anyone know the process for migrating from Blackboard 9 to Moodle 2.0.  Is it better to migrate to 1.9 first, and then upgrade?  Or is it better to start with 2.0?

In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - AFAIK none of the migration tools have been updated for Moodle 2.0 yet. - import them into a 1.9 site and then do an upgrade of the 1.9 site - then use standard Moodle backup/restore to put the course into your production site.

good luck! - feel free to drop me a line if you need any help!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Ellen Marie Murphy -

Okay.  Thanks Dan!

In reply to Ellen Marie Murphy

by Jason Hardy -

We are currently using BB 9.0. When I tried to migrate over to my Moodle 2.0 site it would not work. When I migrated the course to my Moodle 1.9 site, it would move over with some success. When I upgraded my site from 1.9 to 2.0 the courses would move over from 1.9 and look the same, however, when I tried to back them up and move them to my production 2.0 site it failed. From what I am hearing from those who migrate BB to Moodle is that BB changed a lot of its encryption in 9.0 and 9.1 that it is not talking well with Moodle (especially 2.0). With the code chages in 2.0 they are apparently still a few months away in having it figured out. black eye We are going to be completly off by August and I was wanting to move everything over, but it looks like we will have to re-create everything in 2.0 (which from what I am hearing is not bad as the teachers will get to know the power of the program compared to BB).

In reply to Jason Hardy

by Georgia Dodd -

We are converting from Bb 9.1.4 to Moodle 2.0.  Do you have an update since February?  DId you find a converter to help or did you just recreate everything? 

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Paul Mountjoy -

Hi

I am using Moodle 1.9 and Blackboard CE8. I cannot import from Blackboard using any of the import filters. I always get the same error message.

"Could not find question data file in zip"

Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks

Paul

In reply to Paul Mountjoy

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

yeah - CE8/Vista encrypt their files - the easiest way to do this is using respondus - see here for more info:
http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Blackboard_migration#Vista_CE_6.2FCE_8

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Debbie McDonald -

Has there been any progress? We are trying to move Blackboard 9.1.90132.0 to Moodle 2.2.4 and I haven't had a bit of luck. I did manage to get some content into the 2.2.4 site but it was mangled.