No Email confirmation for self Registration

No Email confirmation for self Registration

by Phil Larsen -
Number of replies: 27
Hi,

Yesterday I tried to have my students create a moodle account. They never received an email confirmation so they could continue with their registration. I figured the school district where I work might have too strong of a SPAM blocker.

So I tried with a different email address.

Still no luck.

No I believe moodle is not sending out the email.

What can I do to get moodle to send out the email?

Would you like to try yourself?

www.hmstechnology.com/moodle

Thanks,

Phil
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Phil Larsen

Re: No Email confirmation for self Registration

by Gerald Grow -
I've had students complaining about the same thing. I can't separate when it is a problem they caused and when it is a real problem with the program. Any insights anyone?
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Deborah Delin -
This may be totally obvious to those of you on this thread who have had problems with emails not being sent on self Registration, but just in case you made the same mistake as me: in Administration>Server>Email>Support Email, the email address for the Support Email should be at the same domain name as the site itself. I had a different address and the confirmation emails were only getting through some of the time but changing the address to one on a matching domain seems to have solved this problem.

Nevertheless, I would prefer to be able to bypass the step of having an email confirmation sent. Maybe there is a good reason for it but it seems to expose the process to additional failure possibilites - such as servers being blacklisted and emails going into spam boxes. I made a request on Tracker for the option of self registration with no confirmation email at:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21651

so maybe the others on this thread who seem to want the same thing could support this request.

Deborah

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Deborah Delin

by Roger Mepham -

Genius Deborah

Thanks it fixed the problem for me!

Roger

by Wiebe Buis -

Dear Deborah,

Thank you so much for your info.

I had the same issue, some people received mail others did'nt.

When my administrator email address was in line with the domain, the problem was solved.

Kind regards!

Wiebe Buis (teacher in the Netherlands)

In reply to Phil Larsen

by Gerald Grow -
Phil,

I signed up for your course as you suggested, and in the past hour I have not received a confirmatory email.
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Phil Larsen -
You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I don't think it is going to happen. Moodle needs to fix this. Two years ago it wasn't a problem...and now it is. I thought technology was supposed to progress...not regress!

I have decided that I am going to manually "confirm" my new students, and not worry about the email.
In reply to Phil Larsen

by Lewis Carr -
Is Moodle sending out emails for other tasks? Such as forums and what not? If not then it sounds like an SMTP/SendMail error on the server not Moodle.

Regards,
Lewis
In reply to Lewis Carr

by Janine Lim -
We are having the same problem. Moodle is sending emails from the forums; but not the confirmation letters. So it appears that the SMTP is correct.

Any other suggestions of where to look?

Janine
In reply to Phil Larsen

by Simon Fraser -
Having the same problem on my new Moodle install 1.9.7. Moodle does not seem to be sending out the confirmation emails. Have no idea why!

What error logs can I look at to see what is happening? I have already looked at my host's cPanel logs but not seeing anything there.
In reply to Simon Fraser

by Simon Fraser -
I configured this to use SMTP and it works. Does not seem to work with the PHP routines.
In reply to Simon Fraser

by Keith Rispin -
Not working for SMTP or PHP???

Very strange, since it was working.
In reply to Simon Fraser

by Tim Morrissey -

Hi Simon, 
Could you explain in more detail what you did with your configuration to get self-reg to work. I'm finding it's only working with some email addresses. 
Cheers, Tim

In reply to Simon Fraser

by Katrina Belcher -

Hello!  Can you tell us how you configured it to use SMTP? I'm having the same issue and I'd like to fix it.  Thanks!

In reply to Phil Larsen

by Maria SHILINA -
I also have this problem, but it happens from time to time. At the first time i thought that moodle didn't send e-mail to some special e-mail-servers... But sometimes moodle simply doesn't send e-mail and i have to confirm my students manually. Very strange! 
In reply to Maria SHILINA

by Robert W -
It is too bad that this was changed a couple years ago. It used to be that an e-mail confirmation was not necessary. We constantly have trouble with students not receiving their confirmation e-mails. I understand the Spam issue with not receiving a confirmation e-mail but wish there was a way to just turn it off and have them confirmed as soon as they create their profile instead of after an e-mail.

Does anyone know if this is still an issue in 2.0?
In reply to Robert W

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Robert,

An option for self-registration without the confirmation email still exists in Moodle. See the documentation No authentication for details.

Please note that that enabling no authentication is NOT recommended, except for testing purposes.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Tim Morrissey -

Hi Helen, 
We have had some issues with self-registration confirmation email being sent. I guess the only thing worse than something not working, is having it work sometimes. Could I impose on you with providing a core-developer response to this forum, and specifically dealing with the suggestions in this forum, viz.,

• "support email address needing to be on the same domain as the Moodle itself? Because that worked like a dream for me and others. "
  • "I configured this to use SMTP and it works. Does not seem to work with the PHP routines."
  • the role of CRON set-up in assisting with self-registration

I feel it's too easy to say it's a spam or a blocked domain issue. The moodle we have is installed on a fresh domain with no email accounts associated with it. We have tried self-reg with a variety of email address. Gmail seems to work infallibly. For other addresses we are not finding the confirm email in the local email client spam folder or in the server spam folder. Our admin/support email is in fact from a different domain, so if that is the issue, great, we'll go ahead and implement it. I will appreciate if you can take the time to do this, as self-registration is crucial to the functioning of providing free content on our site without having the burden of manually enrolling users or confirming them. 

Kind Regards
Tim Morrissey

In reply to Tim Morrissey

by Saboor Rafiq -

hi

i've had my Moodle up for months and have spent countless hours trying to get it to send a confirmation email; no luck.  I already gone through several forum and configured as they adviced but of no use.I am trying on localhost using CentOS ,apache server.

please help me!

In reply to Phil Larsen

by Simon Gee -
Hi Folks,

I'm having the same problem as Phil (first post); though my installation is only 3 days old and it has never sent a confirmation email.

I want confirmation emails to be sent as a security measure. Moodle thinks it is sending them, which is verified by Debugging Reports. I have no error reports (either during process via Verbose Debugging in PHP and Email Reporting, or in the Site Error Report read-out). According to all the data everything is working perfectly. The sign-up process works perfectly, the only thing missing is the actual emails.

I have posted about this issue in more detail here - http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=141695#p644809

I would greatly appreciate any assistance... smile

Cheers

Stephen Glanville
In reply to Phil Larsen

by Eric Maikranz -

I've had my Moodle up for months and have spent countless hours trying to get it to send a confirmation email; no luck.  I may have to abandon this product if I can't figure this out.  I'd even pay someone to configure this, if it can be configured.  Help!

Eric

In reply to Eric Maikranz

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Eric,

Are NO emails getting through atall? In which case I would hazard there is something wrong with your setup because the self registration system does work. And you have tried the suggestions in this thread? Including my previous one about the support email address needing to be on the same domain as the Moodle itself? Because that worked like a dream for me and others.

My own experience now is that most of the emails get confirmed. Occasionally one doesn't and I check the user list every day and confirm the account manually and send a confirmation myself in these cases.

There is an option for self registration without the email though we are warned this is not recommended. But I wonder how dangerous it can be if CAPTCHA is set up on the signup form............

Sorry I can't offer a sure-fire solution.

Deborah

by Derek Chirnside -
I'm like Deborah. I can't offer a sure fire solution.
I've installed Moodle recently, and am just setting it up.
I use the e-mail address system in GMail with the plus to have more than one account sent to the same address.

I've just created an account as a self enrollment and got an e-mail in 10 seconds. In installing the server stuff, I did nothing except set up the cron job.

It's your setup then: something someone with more technical smarts that me will need to respond to.
In reply to Eric Maikranz

by Derek Chirnside -
Dumb question: have you checked the docs here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Email_processing

I've just installed Moodle 1.9+ recently.
I'm just creating a new yahoo e-mail address and I will test it to see if it sends e-mails. All the accounts I have made so far have been internal ones.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Bhimreddy M -

I am using moodle 3.0 on redhat linux .

i am facing a problem with No Email confirmation for self Registration.

When i tried to create new account through email base registration it showing email has been sent, but its not delivering to the reviver 

then i tried to configure SMTP using gmail .its showing Tried to send you an email but failed! 

could you please tell us solution.  

In reply to Bhimreddy M

by Walter Byrd -

I am using Moodle 3.3 and having the same problem.

Since this problem seems to be, at least, nine years old, I sadly must assume that they will never get this fixed.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)