Edited Strings Not Visible

Edited Strings Not Visible

by Prashant Ghildiyal -
Number of replies: 22
Hi!!
I am new to moodle, to understand the "language editing" option I followed these steps and have been struggling with the problem for some time now.

I logged in as administrator and selected language editing option, and after choosing "Local String Customization" of English Language pack, changed the entry against "Author" to "Contributor" and saved wiki.php.

I was expecting to see "Contributor" instead of "Author" on the refreshed "wiki.php" but it was still showing "Author"

Can you please point out error in the steps i have taken. I am using Moddle 1.9+ on windows XP.

Thanks
Prashant Ghildiyal
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Prashant Ghildiyal

Re: Edited Strings Not Visible

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi!

the procedure seems to be OK. I have tested it right now and I am able to save the modified local string. See the attached screenshot on how it looks after the save. The green highlighted cell indicates the difference of your local translation.
Just to clarify - is "Author" still showing at the translation page or at the wiki activity page?

d.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Prashant Ghildiyal -
Hi David,
Author is still showing on both translation page as well as wiki page.

When I tried to replicate this issue on a free web-host (earlier i was doing it on my local system) it showed intended behavior that is author string got replaced by creator; I think it is because of XAMPP setting on my local system, do you have any idea as to what can be reason?

Regards,
Prashant

by Larry Elchuck -
Hi Prashant and David

I'm an old hand around Moodle and support a number of sites. I too am experiencing this problem with multiple language files ... so you are not alone.

The changes are made to the local language folders when I examine them in the moodledata/lang/en_utf8 folder (in my cases) but are not displaying as changes in the GUI or the page content. I made a significant change (substituting another term for the word "course" to meet an institutional requirement) and the changes made on a demo server are visible but the ones made on the production one are not.

In both instances, an XAMPP build are being used. The production box is 20090805 and the demo box is 20090804, so there should be no significant difference.

I look forward to suggestions from David and others as well.
In reply to Larry Elchuck

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Can you check if moodledata/lang/en_utf8_local/ has been created on the XAMPP (not working) sites? Is there any content inside?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Prashant Ghildiyal -
moodledata/lang/en_utf8_local/ has properly updated content, it is showing string creator linked to author.

Regards,
Prashant Ghildiyal

by David Mudrák -
Hmm... So to sum up:
  • there is no problem with the language translation tool itself as the string is successfully saved into the proper folder. Is it displayed with the green highlight as shown at the screenshot above?
  • you experience a problem that XAMPP (or maybe any Windows-based server?) does not prefer local strings as it should, right?
Do you have any other languages installed on the problematic server? Or just English?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Larry Elchuck -
Not to hijack, but hopefully help David, so you can look at 2 sets of data.

The green highlight does not display on mine
The tech person who installed the production server did add multiple languages where the demo one only had English.

I uninstalled all other language packs, deleted one of the local lang files, made the change to it again, and still no green nor showing up in the GUI

larry

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Do you have langcache enabled?
In reply to koen roggemans

by Prashant Ghildiyal -
No Langcache is not enabled, also i checked moodledata/cache and it is empty.

Regards
Prashant

by Larry Elchuck -
Lang cache was enabled on my system, as the tech admin added extra languages. I deleted those languages and shut the cache option off. No difference on my system.

I have one other anomaly and am wondering if you have the same, Prashant.

Our installation was running out of hard drive space (original drive was E) and a new drive was added. The original install was copied to the new E: drive and the old drive was renamed T:

Prashant, did you have anything out of the ordinary done you your build as well?

by Prashant Ghildiyal -
I didnt do anything out of ordinary, but yes i used the XAMPPLite bundle provided on the moodle site to do installation on my local computer.

by Panagiotis Iliopoulos -
Hello everyone,

I am experiencing the exact same problem as Prashant.

Has a solution come up or are you still facing this issue?

Regards,

Panos
In reply to Panagiotis Iliopoulos

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It does not sound like folks have found a solution to this. If possible, I would like to work individually with someone via IM to see if we can figure out what is happening. Please send me a Moodle message to arrange a date and time. Peace - Anthony

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have exactly the same problem as described by the others in this thread. I have 2 local installs of Moodle with the most uptodate 1.9.6 version, both using XAMP, both identical.

My moodle install on my main computer does not have the language editing problem.

My moodle install on my laptop computer displays the problem as described:

I can go into the admin / Language Editing / Edit Words or phrases menu; I can edit strings, they are saved to the moodledata/lang/en_utf8 folder with my changes... but the changes do not appear in the Edit Words or phrases menu, i.e. I do not see the green highlighted original strings as I should. And, of course, in my moodle courses the original strings are still being used, not my modified strings.

This is a mystery.surprise

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Found the culprit : eAccelerator evil

In my server's php/php.ini file I commented out all the commands in the [eAccelerator]

section, emptied the server/tmp cache, re-launched my moodle site on my laptop and language files editing works as expected.

I do appreciate that accelerators and caches are needed for optimum performance, but I do find them quite irritating, especially when they are installed by default, since they will quite often make editing without visible effect when you are developing.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by David Mudrák -
Nice catch! Thanks for sharing your findings Joseph. I wonder if this can be reason for others' problem, too...

by James Jameson -

My Moodle seems to be doing exactly the same thing.

Could you give a bit more (step-by-step if possible) guidance as to exactly what you did.

Cheers,

James

In reply to James Jameson

by Mauno Korpelainen -

James,

if you are using for example the Complete Windows package it has by default PHP eaccelerator enabled and you need to edit your php.ini file (found from server\php folder) and change

eaccelerator.enable = "1"

to

eaccelerator.enable = "0"

or comment that line out with semicolon.

Then save php.ini and restart your apache/server (XAMPP)

Eaccelerator has a "bad habit" to cache all kinds of settings - for example if theme changes (to config.php etc) don't seem to "stick" the reason is often in eaccelerator...but it can be useful to have eaccelerator enabled if site has performance issues.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by James Jameson -

Thank you very much. The explanation was perfect. It has not only resolved the issue specified, it has also resolved the caching issue with my themes.

Thank you for your time and advice.

James

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hey, Mauno, that's what I wrote in my message.... Except I did not mention that you could set eaccelerator.enable = "0".wink
Joseph

by Mauno Korpelainen -
Yes - your answer was perfect already, Joseph - James just asked "a bit more (step-by-step if possible) guidance" so I added that bit... wink

Re: Edited Strings Not Visible - eaccelerator

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
For what it's worth: I use xcache with garbage collection at 300 seconds and that doesn't give me any problems.