Prevent unauthorized deletion of resources by teachers

Prevent unauthorized deletion of resources by teachers

by Adma Lim -
Number of replies: 7
Hi,

I have tried to search on moodle for a solution but I could not find, I hope you can help by giving me suggestions or recommendations.

Is there any solution that i could use to prevent one teacher from deleting/editing the moodle resources (eg. assignment, forum, web page) created by another teacher when that teacher was not the author for the resource(s)?

Thank you.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adma Lim

Re: Prevent unauthorized deletion of resources by teachers

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Adma - Moodle does not look to see who created a resource. It is an interesting idea; however, it is assumed that teachers know how to work together on a course. While you can create custom roles or limit what a particular user can do in a given context, what you are asking for (AFAIK) is not possible in Moodle. It may make an interesting feature request but you may want to through the idea out on the resource forum and see if other users would find it helpful. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Adma Lim -
Hi Anthony

Thanks for your reply.

So this how moodle works, putting the trust in the hands of the teachers. But it hard to tell whether such incident would occur or not, so it would be good to have such features in place ( when we have part-time and full-time teaching staff, sometimes coordination would be a challenge).

I have posted the question on the resources forum.

Regards,
Adma
In reply to Adma Lim

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Adma - I agree that at times it can be problematic. Generally speaking, Moodle does tend to be fairly trusting. Yet I have seen cases where that has caused some problems and created work for me as a Moodle admin. I had a course in which I was encouraging teachers to share resources with one another (I called it a teacher repository). Each teacher was a teacher of that course. One teacher went in to the Teacher Repository and thought it was her course and began deleting all of the resources she was not using. It was a pain to have to go back and put them in. That said, the goal was to allow the teachers to not only make use of the resources but also improve upon them. So I opted to simply educate the teachers a little more on how to make uses of the teacher repository rather than working to prevent them from deleting things. Thanks for posting in the resources forum to see what others think about the issue. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Adma Lim -
Anthony - Yup, that's what I'm hoping not to happen and that why I'm searching for a solution by posting on this forum. It has been fruitful wink because users like you shared your experiences with me which served as a lesson for me (a newbie of moodle).
If this feature is available, i don't mind that it has been make into an option for the admin to choose to use it or not, after all not everyone needs it.

Hmmmm.... would moodle be able to display to the teacher who has last edited the resources? This would be an indication for the teacher who wants to make changes or remove the resource, that the resource is still being maintained by some other teacher(s) and maybe the teacher would less likely to delete it away thinking that it no longer needed.

I agree that educating the teachers how to use it is important too smile as not all the teachers are IT savvy. I do have teachers who are non IT savvy, so it going to be a challenge for me to assist them when we officially switch over to moodle. Holding their hands as they move to moodle.
In reply to Adma Lim

by Mark Stevens -
Adma,

It is an interesting feature request, and the examples you and Anthony mentioned show a need. Why don't you request it at: http://tracker.moodle.org/
Post back here the tracker number and you'll get my vote smile
In reply to Mark Stevens

by Adma Lim -
Hi Mark

I have never done a tracker before and don't know how, and I still new to moodle.
Neither am I good in IT.

Would you like to make the request ?

Thanks