Allowing teachers to put courses in categories

Allowing teachers to put courses in categories

by Jon Breitenbucher -
Number of replies: 3
I am trying to determine what permissions the teacher role needs to have or how to edit the form displayed when a teacher clicks on the Settings link in their course so that they can put the course in the correct category. Our courses are auto created via LDAP and all end up in an Auto Created category and I do not want to have to manually place the 600+ course in the correct category each semester. I am not sure if the LDAP course creation script can handle categories. If it can then I'd be interested to know what needs to be done to make that work. Otherwise, I really desire a solution that allows the faculty members to move their courses into the correct categories.

I have tried changing the Teacher role so that teachers can create categories and update them and I have also allowed them to create courses. None of these changes in permissions has allowed a teacher to see the category menu when editing the course settings. Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Breitenbucher

Re: Allowing teachers to put courses in categories

by Gary Anderson -
Hi Jon:

If you assign certain trained teachers to the "Course Creator" role at the site level, they will be able to change their course category when they go into their course settings of their individual courses.

Note a few things:
Assigning roles at the site level is something you want to do with caution. Course creator has just a few added privileges. You would not want to assign anybody the teacher role at the site level, for example: they could go in and change everybody's grades, modify all courses in any ways, etc. You might as well make them an admin.

I use the word "trained teachers". I would only give this role to experienced faculty who you have given extra instructions and guidelines. But such a role does help you distribute the administrative responsibility among the faculty, which might be a good thing. You can also adjust the privileges of the course creator role to suit your needs, but do so very carefully as such a user will be able to do assigned things in all courses.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Jon Breitenbucher -
Thanks Gary. This is exactly what I do not want to do. I cannot give extra privileges to teachers. I just want to allow all teachers to put their courses into the category in which they think it belongs. In the past you could edit the code displaying the form when a teacher clicked on Settings to allow teachers to move their courses to categories. I'd ultimately like to have this functionality back. I don't understand why teachers are not allowed to do this already.

Maybe there is a way for the courses to be put in categories when they are created via LDAP, but I have never seen anything on how to accomplish that either.

So it looks like I get to manually assign 500+ courses to their categories.
In reply to Jon Breitenbucher

by Gary Anderson -
Jon:

The code that affects this element starts at around line 60 of /course/edit_form.php.

You can always patch it so it does not check for the given capability if you want it to work differently.

But whether you patch the code or permit it using roles, you are giving the teachers this extra privilege which at the present time is reserved to those who have course:create privileges at the categories or site level.

--Gary