pdf as content and question

pdf as content and question

by Dan McGuire -
Number of replies: 15
I'm a newbie. I want my students to be able to view a pdf file and then submit a short answer to a question that is at the end of the pdf . I've tried to create a lesson but can't seem to make it work.
I was able to add the pdf to the course as a resource but students can't view it as they are writing their response. I've only been using assignments, forums, wikis and blogs; I haven't been able to use lesson module successfully and I'm not even sure the lesson module is the best way to do what I want to do.
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan McGuire

Re: pdf as content and question

by Mark Drechsler -
How about this...

1. Within your course, upload the PDF into your course files area
  2. Once you've done that click on the file, and copy the URL from the browser window, pop it into Notepad or something
  3. Create a new Assignment (Online Text)
  4. For the description, change the view to HTML view in the editor, and embed some HTML for an iFrame that points to the PDF URL
  5. Change back to WYSIWYG mode and add your question underneath the newly displayed iframe
  6. Save, and that should now let your students view the scrollable PDF in the same window as the one they'll be entering their response into.
Sound like a plan?

Mark.
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Thank you Mark!
That IS a plan and something I am very interested in. I took the liberty of adding an IFrame page in MoodleDocs. I knew nothing about IFrame so went to Wikipedia and combined your outstanding instructions. I then checked it out using demo.moodle. Yeah!

This should also work in a branch table or question page in Lesson, because it is HTML, right? Not for every teacher, but certainly something for the more adventuresome to try. Thanks again. Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Mark Drechsler -
No probs Chris,

Thanks for adding the iframe info into MoodleDocs - something I've been meaning to do for a while but never quite made it! Also thanks for the demo of how to use it in a lesson - I think it is a neat trick for thise who know just a smidgeon of HTML.

Cheers,

Mark.

by Chris Collman -
Hi Mark,
That is me, a smidgen of HTML. If it is not a KISS, then I just might possibly get confuzzeled.

Best Chris

by Chris Collman -
Here is Mark's example placed into a Lesson question.

I used this as code:
Read the following chart.<br />
<p><br /></p> <iframe height="300" width="600" src="http://demo.moodle.org/file.php/2/Media_examples/WQ3.pdf"> Alternative text for browsers that do not understand IFrames </iframe>
<p>How do you want to answer this questions?</p>

Great question, great tip!
Attachment Iframe_Lesson_question_example.jpg

by Michael Penney -

iFrames also work for published GoogleDocs - I've got some instructions here:

http://michaelpenney.blogspot.com/2008/07/publishing-powerpoint-slideshow-from.html

Scroll down a way to see a Powerpoint converted to a Google Presentation, and then displayed in a lesson page.

In reply to Michael Penney

by Chris Collman -
Hi Michael,
Don't you think that PowerPoint in an Iframe was the second thing I tried with Mark's suggestion on demo.moodle smile But it opened up another window.

I will definitely check it out the link you provided and probably create something in MoodleDocs as a work around. You know my motto, "If the front door does not open, use the back door, and if that doesn't work break a window". big grin

Thanks Chris

by Michael Penney -

Hi Chris, did you try a Powerpoint (ppt) file, or the Google Docs conversion I discussed in the tutorial?

Gdocs converts the ppt into HTML/AJAX, which seems to embed fine (tested it on demo.moodle.com also).

Attachment gdocsinlesson.png

by Chris Collman -
Hi Michael,
Sorry for not being clear. I was in vacation count down mode and in the usual rush of an "end of term" cycle. Now I am on vacation for the next 2 weeks, so my head is really fuzzy !

I have not tried the suggestions that you outlined in your link. I will try them. And then add them to MoodleDocs, unless somebody does it first. I am sure they will work.

Also on my to do list is to test the potentially more elegant and straightforward hack of importing images into lesson. Now if we could get OO to change the way it labels it's images from img1.jpg, to img001.jpg .. But first I really hope my site administrator will give me a production site in 1.9 instead of 1.5 big grin

Thanks for all you team's work in Moodle and Lesson.

Chris

by Dan McGuire -
Thank you, Mark. This is so cool! 48 hours ago I had spent three days in a workshop shuffling papers written in the early 90s. The papers were generally related to the new math curriculum that was finally given to us after the three days of paper shuffling. I was thrilled to learn that the publisher had made much of the newly published work available online in pdf files. I was pretty sure that I would be able use them on my Moodle site but as I said in my original post, I was having trouble making them show up in a convenient presentation for my 4th graders.

Having an expert from Adelaide offer assistance to a Minneapolis Public School 4th grade teacher (in less than an hour from the query, I think, I don't know for sure because I went to bed shortly after posting my question and didn't have time to check again until this morning) is what Moodle is all about.

I will be using this example of collaboration in the presentation about Moodle that I'm scheduled to be making to other MPS teachers in a couple of weeks.

I struggled a bit with instruction #4. I had never used the <> button before and I tried about four or five of the other buttons before I even found where it was - I guess if I'd looked at the tool bar from right to left I might have found it quicker.

Now, next question: How do I make the window in which the pdf appears bigger ?

And how do I get rid of the 'Available from, Due Date' wndow? ( My 4th graders will need at least a few months of coaching before due dates are worth posting.)

Thanks for making teaching more fun!!!
In reply to Dan McGuire

by Michael Penney -
Hi Dan, to make the iframe larger, you need to edit the height and width code in the iframe. The attached screenshot might help - the arrows point to the numbers to change in order to change the size of the iframe.

Hope this helps!
Attachment iframesizeedit.png

by Dan McGuire -
Thanks, Michael, that worked, as does this forum as a learning tool.
In reply to Dan McGuire

by Chris Wright -

If you use the "lesson" fomat, you have an option to link to a pop-up page, which could be your pdf file. The lesson could comprise just the question/student answer.

You say that you've tried to create a lesson but can't seem to make it work. What happened?

In reply to Chris Wright

by Dan McGuire -
Well, I'm not quite sure what happened, but I didn't get the pdf to display or anything else for that matter. I'll try to create a lesson again and keep better notes of what happens, or doesn't happen. I'll try the creating a lesson tutorial and see what happensm
In reply to Chris Wright

by Dan McGuire -
I tried to include a pdf file again and nothing happened. Pdf and word.doc formats are not included in the file types included in this option, according to the little help window. I'm using 1.8; might that have something to do with it or am I missing something else?
Thanks,
Dan