Posts made by Ethan Z

The ratio between available connections and used ones was not good.

mysql> SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES LIKE 'max_connections';

+-----------------+-------+

| Variable_name   | Value |

| max_connections | 151   |

1 row in set (0.08 sec)

mysql> SHOW GLOBAL STATUS LIKE 'max_used_connections';

+----------------------+-------+

| Variable_name        | Value |

| Max_used_connections | 150   |

1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Made this change:

In /etc/my.cnf under the [mysqld] section add: 

max_connections = 500 

then either execute SET GLOBAL max_connections = 500; in MySQL or restart MySQL.

Result:

mysql> SET GLOBAL max_connections = 500;

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.05 sec)

mysql> SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES LIKE 'max_connections';

| Variable_name   | Value |

| max_connections | 500   |

1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Will try the backup/restore later and see how they go now, and update here, meanwhile if you have ideas please chime in. 

The db and mysql Linux servers have plenty disk space and free RAM 

Moodle 2.5.3+ (Build: 20131224)

I have been reading here and it seems (please correct me if wrong) that slowness in backups and especially restoring backups started to occur in Moodle 2 especially in Moodle versions of/and after 2.5  (i found many with this issue on Moodle 2.6, and again in 2.7) due to intense use of the database. I see these issues don't seem to have been fixed in Moodle's code.

Error-wise, i've seen the time out error,  and i also have seen no errors and only massive slow response which seems to affect the entire moodle site.

I'm currently looking if there's something to be done on the db server to help this and looking at mysql logs , will report here if i find anything note worthy.

Is there a permanent fix , or temporary things I could do in the meantime?  besides increasing the database server RAM and the app servers Max timeout time?

many thanks!

Average of ratings: -

Found the answer, it's in the config.php file

$CFG->dataroot  = '/srv/www/moodle2data';

This i will change to point to, whatever, the new drive path is, once i copy over all the content.

Not sure how to add a new drive in linux.

Does this sound like a plan that would work? 

what are things one should watch out for while doing this?

thanks for your advice

Hi, i ran out of disk space, my VM isnt allowing me to expand the disk space (whole other story, not what i'm asking here)... 

My plan is to add a new drive, move over all the moodledata content, point moodle to use this new drive which will have more disk space.

Would this in theory work?

Where is the moodledata folder location specified (which config file?) so i could re-point moodle to the new moodledata file location

thanks

Average of ratings: -

Thanks to both. 

" you can manage (download, delete) the backup files from the restore page:"

that's what i've done.

some times the teachers want to backup on demand for various reasons.  I will give some thought to your suggestion.

So, there are no real file management tools outside of the file picker and the backup/restore pages?