Metacourse as a Learning Path

Metacourse as a Learning Path

by Gilbert Blankenship -
Number of replies: 3
I am using MOODLE 1.8.x in my organization to train and certify operators on various systems. I have established metacourses and are using them to create various learning (certification) paths. When students log in, I only want them to be able to view the certification paths - not all the categories or courses on the server.

For example, I might have the following metacourses:

- Introduction to the company
- Admin course 1
- Admin course 2
- HR course 1
- HR course 2
- Management course 1
- Management course 2

Let's say that I have the following categories (with courses) used primarily to organize and facilitate course development:

- Introduction
-- Introduction to the company

- Administration
-- Admin course 1
-- Admin course 2

- Human Resources
-- HR course 1
-- HR course 2

- Management
-- Management course 1
-- Management course 2

Let's say that I also have created the following child courses:

- Management 101
- HR 101
- Admin 101

And that finally I have the following learning paths:

- Management 101
- - Introduction to the company
- - Management course 1
- - Management course 2

- HR 101
- - HR course 1
- - HR course 2

-Admin 101
- - Admin course 1
- - Admin course 2

Here is my problem, I don't want students to be able to sign up for each course, or even see the course for that matter. I only want them to be able to see the learning (certification) paths:

- Management 101
- HR 101
- Admin 101

Once they sign up for a path (Management 101) then they can see the classes on their My Course page.

Unfortunately, I either get one extreme (learners see all categories and all classes) or the other (they don't see anything).

Is it possible to do this?

I have tried configuring with My MOODLE toggled both on and off.
I have tried hiding categories, but not the courses in them and toggling the show all courses option.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gilbert Blankenship

Re: Metacourse as a Learning Path

by Art Lader -

Hi, Gilbert,

I wonder if what you need is site-wide groups. If so, Moodle does not yet have that feature. There is, however, an interesting discussion and a hack at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=93424.

Sorry if this is not quite what you meant.

Regards,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Gilbert Blankenship -
Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I have the solution. I was very close in that I had to:

1) create the proper metacourses in their own categories then hide the categories but ensure the courses are not hidden
2) create a category "Certifications" and ensure it isn't hidden
3) create the certification courses in the certifications category and make them the child courses to the meta courses
4) ensure a sticky box (combo) is available on the home page
5) force students to use "my moodle"

Once the student navigates to the main page (before logging in) they are presented with a list of the available certifications. When they select a certification they are prompted to log in, then enrolled, and they are presented with the courses within the certification.

My problem was that I was attempting to present the certifications to the student once they were logged in.
In reply to Gilbert Blankenship

by Ruchi Raina -
Hi Gilbert,
My requirement is some what similar to yours.
I tried your steps and they work fine for student enrollment.
However, in the My courses block, I see both the child course and the metadata courses to which the child course is added. In terms of your example, a student sees four courses in his My courses block:
- Admin 101
- Introduction to the company
- Admin course 1
- Admin course 2

whereas, what I want him to see if an indented list of courses under Admin 101.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Also, I want to include role-based access to my curriculums, which means that the learner sees a suggested learning path specific to his role. He should also be able to see a categorized list of courses.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=102195&parent=451348

Do you have any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Ruchi