Moodle for E-Commerce courses with Captivate?

Moodle for E-Commerce courses with Captivate?

by David Kennedy -
Number of replies: 3

My company is generally looking to create courses, and post them online for people to purchase and use, and provide completion certificates.  We are looking into giving CEUs for some courses as well.

I've been tasked with figuring out how to do this.  We very much like the type of course that could be created using Adobe Captivate, and are leaning towards purchasing it.  However, we then need to host these somehow.  I'm finding that most LMS systems that do what we need are enormously expensive, which has lead me to the open source community, and Moodle.

Long story short, we need the typical abilities to host, secure, accept payment for, and track courses.  It seems that Moodle has most of these covered, and I like the overall functionality.  But the interaction with Captivate seems to be problematic. 

I've tried the demo, and like many, I cannot get pass/fail from Captivate.  I further don't seem to get some tracking, as in, how far did they get in the course, did they finish the course, etc.

We're also looking to capture individual responses from Captivate, for statistical analysis.  We'd also like for viewers to be able to resume courses where they left off.  I don't see that these are supported in Moodle.

(I guess I didn't make "long story short") but anyway, can this be done using Moodle?  If not, are there any inexpensive LMS systems that might do the job?

Thanks for any input.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Kennedy

Re: Moodle for E-Commerce courses with Captivate?

by Bryan Williams -
David,

Most of the actions you mention are part of SCORM 1.2, so make sure you use this standard when outputting content from Captivate. Moodle does a fairly good job with SCORM 1.2 content and less of a good job with handling interactions that are part of SCORM 2004. The community is working on getting SCORM support in Moodle fixed. If you need professional support contact a Moodle partner.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bryan Williams

by David Kennedy -

Thanks.  I tried SCORM 1.2 (as well as 2004 and AICC), and had no luck.  I followed an example someone had posted on this forum against the demo.moodle.org site, and while the course was there and would play fine, I wouldn't get any feedback from the Captivate file.  I would get the Moodle tracking itself (user view a course or even launch the Captivate), but nothing more.

Maybe it's just me?  Or could it be the demo site? 

In reply to David Kennedy

by Richard Standen -
Not sure if you are still looking for this functionality? However, Course Merchant (www.coursemerchant.com) will allow you to sell CEUs within Moodle. In fact, I have a recent customer who is doing exactly that and then printing a certificate upon completion. I could put you in touch if you like (email me off-list at richard [at] connectedshopping.com).

Regards

Richard