Moodle documentation: How to teach, not how to moodle

Moodle documentation: How to teach, not how to moodle

by Matt Gibson -
Number of replies: 7
I've just been reading about training needs analysis (blame the open uni) and I've realised that a horrible mistake I've been making is showing teachers how to use moodle, rather than showing them how to make their jobs easier and be more effective teachers, but using moodle to achieve it.

Checking the docs, it seems that much of what is there follows the same pattern. articles like 'how to add an MCQ question' are great, for me, but what we really need are a load of articles that say things like 'how to run a debate online instead of in the classroom and why you would want to bother', which would say less about the mechanics of moodle (that's in other articles and can be linked to) and more about the social and organisational objectives and techniques, like:
  • Online debates are recorded for posterity and can be used by the students as revision - not possible with spoken one
  • Online debates allow students to review other people's contributions and take their time to write a considered response after researching things.
  • Online debates can be graded by you, or by other class members, or both, so you have a formal record of the value of what they have said.
  • Online debates free up class time for more interesting and advanced stuff.
You will need to show your students how they work: here is a sample of a handout you could give them with screenshots.

Here are some sample tasks and the learning objectives they meet.

Go here to see how to set up a basic forum and come back when you've done it

What things stop the students from participating

Dos and Don'ts for moderation

Etc, etc...

I know that a lot of that information is probably scatterted aroumd, but its too much for a new user and some moodle for converting teachers articles are what we need (I think smile).

I think a new category in the docs would be a great start (not sure what to call it though), followed by something on the main docs page that shows e.g. the 5 most commong things that teachers new to moodle would want to achieve with their classes (not technical moodle skills they want to gain), and the benefits to doing so and a realistic time frame e.g. a quiz will take 2 hours to setup the first time, including writing 10 questions, but you will save 4 hours of marking time if you use it with 6 classes.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Gibson

Re: Moodle documentation: How to teach, not how to moodle

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I like the way you put that, Not how to Moodle but how to teach. Seems like we need examples of different things. A forum for Moodle as a tool (which I think we have), a MoodleDoc space for Examples, a examples.moodle.org site.

In the last year, I spent some time rethinking the lesson in demo.moodle.org . My "Ah Ha" about examples is that I don't want to really have to learn physics. But I do want to get the flavor of an example physics course and see how it works. There could be a lot of great techniques in that course I could use in my poetry course. Providers of examples probably don't want to invest the time to rethink their course as an example smile. And besides the interaction is an important part which Moodle does not show anywhere (with the big obvious exception of moodle.org where typically they only see things as a student) in smaller chunks. People looking for examples want to invest their research time wisely.

I deleted two paragraphs of examples of the techie vrs the mentor approach in video conferencing. My initial presentation is that a teacher already has all the skills necessary to use the technology effectively. It is all about them teaching they way they teach, and then some suggestions how to make that happen with the technology. Usually close my 5 minutes prep with, "I hope you learned something from our little interaction. Did you? So you see, the technology worked and we didn't do anything fancy. "
In reply to Matt Gibson

by Rob Merkus -
Maybe here http://epedagogy.risbo.org/lab/dd/index.php are some good starter ideas
In reply to Rob Merkus

by Ian Wild -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi all,

Very interested to read these remarks. Really we have the same problem with the Moodle textbooks that are currently on sale, too. Soooo, prepare yourselves for a shameless plug big grin:

I'm almost at the end of writing a book that shows you how to use Moodle to support your teaching - it's a guide for educators converting to Moodle, pitched so that it gives you advice on how and why you would want to use a forum, say, rather than just showing you how to set one up. My book is going to be published by Packt and is due to be on sale at the end of this October (2008).

I think the books that are on sale are excellent, but they tend to be only really useful if, for example, you ever wondered what a particular button or setting did - rather than answering why you would want to do that in the first place.

Cheers,

Ian.
In reply to Ian Wild

by Marc Grober -
Great news!

I actually teach a class in Moodle for teachers that uses the same kind of focus, as compared to classes that only provide basic incremental instruction on creating a forum or resource. And I structure my moodle course specifically to trigger complaints about the appropriateness of various usages specifically, and usage of Moodle generally.

There is quite a bit of whining as one can imagine.... but the comments from students suggest that the process was well worth it.

A colleague put some of this discussion under the microscope when he mentioned to me that while many of his colleagues wanted to invest some major money in little electronic clickers (for those not familiar with this latest edtechfad, see, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7844477/), he thought he could probably manage the same kind of thing by passing out colored index cards to students....... And, to make things even more complex, all the students carried the latest TI calculators (and could barely use a fraction of the potential present there) as well as the latest cell phones on which they were already IM-ing during class (who missed the Doonesbury panel addressing IM use during lectures?)

In any event, can't wait to see the book.....

congrats

In reply to Marc Grober

by Ian Wild -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi all,

Just a brief follow up to this post (some four months later smile)...

My new book, Moodle Course Conversion: Beginner's Guide, is now available - both as a book and a PDF eBook. It's the first publication in Packt Publishing's new Beginner's Guides series - and we've tried to include as many step-by-step tutorials, illustrated walk-throughs, and as much practical advice as possible.

More details on the book can be found in the Moodle books database...

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=55&rid=1953

Cheers,

Ian.
In reply to Ian Wild

by Marc Grober -
It (the book) finally arrived!

The good news is that its great!

Well done.