SUSE Linux with XEN and Moodle

SUSE Linux with XEN and Moodle

by dan Krajewski -
Number of replies: 4

Has anyone successfully virtualized Moodle and SUSE Linux Xen? I need to move my Moddle server and I would like to know if anyone has seen any problems virtualizing Moodle.

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to dan Krajewski

Re: SUSE Linux with XEN and Moodle

by Nate Hartmann -
I can't speak SUSE/Xen specifically, but I have virtualized Moodle. We're currently using VMWare server to run a Red Hat Enterprise Linux guest within a Windows Server 2003 host.

It's been pretty stable, except the guest system's clock constantly drifts. After setting up network time, that problem is solved.

Performance has so far been comparable to a traditional OS, but we're just starting out with Moodle (86 users today, 199 this week, 260 this month).
In reply to Nate Hartmann

by dan Krajewski -

Thanks for the information, I'm going to move it over today and see what happens. Thanks!

by Max Garrick -
I can't comment specifically on XEN, however we have installed Moodle in an OpenVZ virtual private server. OpenVZ the technology that drives Parallels Virtuozzo.

One note about resource allocation, which XEN and OpenVZ share:

If you perform a Moodle upgrade for a large site, you'll need upwards of 1GB of memory allocated to your VPS/XEN environment. The upgrade process is a real memory monster.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I've virtualized Slackware Linux on VMware on a Linux host. Others have moved it to a Windows host. There were no problems at all.

We haven't put it to production use, neither benchmarked. So can't say anything about stability or performance.