Hotpot-Quizzes can get very slow

Hotpot-Quizzes can get very slow

by Fritz Richter -
Number of replies: 3
Dear Gordon,

I just realized, that Hotpot files with a lot of JavaScript code respond very slowly, when the Hotpot Quiz is integrated in the normal Moodle navigation bar.
Anytime, for example, a multiple choice answer button is clicked, the whole page is refreshed which can take a while.

When I'm using a Moodle navigation frame instead, the page is not refreshed after every single click and responds instantly.

Is this because of the hotpot-full.js, which is used displaying a Hotpot Quiz with the Moodle navigation bar? Is there kind of a workaround for this?

Thanks for your great work,

Best Fritz Roland
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fritz Richter

Re: Hotpot-Quizzes can get very slow

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Fritz,
thanks for your post.

Personally speaking, I haven't experienced the markedly slow response when using a HotPot with the normal Moodle navigation bar.

I would like to have a look at the quiz myself. Could you upload the quiz to my server - or send my access details so I can visit your site as a teacher?
cheers
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Fritz Richter -
Hi Gordon,

thanks for your fast reply. I've uploaded some files to you site. You can find them at the bottom of topic one. The different behaviour of the the bar and frame navigation is very obvious with the first two files.

File 3 to 6 don't show any difference regarding response; all of them are kind of slow. Do you have any idea, what's goning on?

Thanks for your support!

Best
Fritz Roland
In reply to Fritz Richter

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Fritz,
thanks for uploading the quizzes.

Two things that I notice about quiz "test8.htm" is that firstly there a lot (40-50) options for each JQuiz question, and secondly you are using an external stylesheet to modify the display. There should be nothing wrong with doing either of those things, but together they make this quiz significantly different from JQuiz exercises I have seen in the past, so I have a hunch at least of them is causing the slowness.

There is also an external javascript file, test8.js, but that seems to be the standard Hot Potatoes javascript - is that right?

Would it be possible for you to upload the jqz file too, so that I can see what happens with less questions, less options per questions and so on?

thanks
Gordon

P.S. Out of interest what browser are the exercises being viewed on, and how fast is the PC on which they will be viewed? I ask this because when I view the exercises on Firefox 2, on a 1.6GHz Dual Core machine running Windows 2003, the slowness is not so troubling for me. In fact, if you hadn't told me I might not have noticed.