Hotpot module and Moodle 1.3

Hotpot module and Moodle 1.3

by Freddy Hollez -
Number of replies: 5
Can anyone tell me if the hotpot module is compatible with the recent Moodle releases?  I use 1.3, and when I have installed the hotpot module, I get the message that the hotpot module isn't readable.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Freddy Hollez

Re: Hotpot module and Moodle 1.3

by Thomas Robb -
It should work fine with 1.3. I'm using with 1.3 myself

Could you quote the error message that you receive exactly? That might help pinpoint the source of the problem.

Usually, however, problems are due to one of the following reasons:

1. The module isn't in the correct location. If you look inside moodle/mod/ you should be able to see a folder called 'hotpot'. Inside it you should see the following files:

db (folder)
details.php
dummy.html
hotpot.php
hotpot2db.php
icon.gif
index.php
lib.php
mod.html
README.txt
report.php
show.php
version.php
view.php

2. The files do not have the correct permissions, i.e. 'others' do not have read permission.

3. The moodle/lang/en/hotpot.php file is missing or has the wrong permissions

Please check the above points and report back if you are still having trouble.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Eric Goupil -
I did a successfully installation with easyphp1-7. Everything was working unti I installed HotPot mmodule 1.3.5 . Unfortunately, after I had copy the folders and file following the ReadMe, I went to check it out in Admin section. I saw a message telling "Hot Pot has been susscsfully installed".Then I clicked on Next Button. Then I got that message:
Warning: main(../../config.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in c:\program files\esayphp1-7\www\moodle\lang\en\hotpot.php on line 10

Here is what I did to install HotPot module 1.3.5:
The folder 'hotpot' is inside moodle/mood/ with all the listed files + I did a copy of hotpot.php in moodle/lang/en/ folder

That means that I have the hotpot.php in 2 places: "moodle/mod/hotpot/ and in moodle/lang/en/

Here is what I verified to try to find the problem:
I checked in my MySql: mdl_hotpot + mdl_hotpot_events tables has been created succesfully.

Then I opened the file hotpot.php to verify the line 10. Here is the Code:
//check to see if hotpot directory exists. If not, then create it
require_once("../../config.php");
require_once("lib.php");

Maybe is the pat of ("../../config.php" that is not good with my localhost intallation:
"c:\program files\easyphp1-7\www\moodle" ?

Do somebody can help me?

In reply to Eric Goupil

by Eric Goupil -
The problem has been fixed.
Here is my error:
I copied the hotpot.php file in moodle\lang\en
In fact, that file is already in moodle\mod\hotpot\lang\en and doesn't have to be copied anywhere else! Also, if  we checked the code of  moodle\mod\hotpot\hotpot.php file with the other moodle\mod\hotpot\lang\en, there are not the same.

So, the installation of hotpot module is easy:
Just copy the hotpot folder in moodle\mod and give the good parameters in the moodle\mod\hotpot\hotpot.php file.

Hoping that my mistake will help someone else.

Cheers
In reply to Eric Goupil

by Thomas Robb -
Even if you copy the correct hotpot.php file into the lang/en/ you also have to make sure that the 'permissions' are correct so that 'any user' can read the file. You can check this by looking at the 'properties' of the file.

Yes, there are two hotpot.php files and they are completely different in contents and function.

There are many instances in Moodle, where there are multiple files with different contents but with the same name. It's unfortunate since it is confusing to us humans, but for the programming, it makes life much simpler. Each module has a file called [modulename].php in its own module folder, which is the main 'engine' for the module, and then a file with the same name in the lang/en directory which is a list of definitions for various words and phrases that need to be displayed on the page.

If anyone has ideas on how the module installation could be made more 'foolproof' I'd like to hear them!
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Er, none of the modules except hotpot have a file called modulename.php in their folders  wink ... the main code functions should be in lib.php ...

Anyhow, the hotpot.php language files are now standard in the language packs from 1.4 so that should make things easier.