Campaign to get Tim's User's Roles plugin in core

Campaign to get Tim's User's Roles plugin in core

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The User's Roles thingy is really cool.... it's a nightmare to diagnose role problems if you have a more than trivial setup....

Votes please:

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?rid=1005&page=16
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Campaign to get Tim's User's Roles plugin in core

by John White -
Its a great tool, but at the moment I get a bit of a wobbly result when using it (in 1.9)...

When typing a username I get the 'drop-down' contents sprinkled down the page, not within a selection box. This means they are very hard to read, cover the Get Report button, and can't be scrolled through to pick up the required one.

I also find that nearly everyone appears twice as my initial letter may appear in the user's name or their email address? / full name?. This is not quite what I would expect and the result could be very confusing to some.

Do I have the latest version? I downloaded it from the link you gave into Modules & Plugins, Howard.

Regards,

John
In reply to John White

by John White -
Okay, I've found out why I was getting duplicate users - I've tested this on two moodle sites and the problem did not appear on the second, at first!

But on the first site (used as a testbed) I had deleted and re-imported almost all my uses from CSV. Deleting yet again means the report has 2 instances in what I will call email-style and none in username-style (instead on one of each)! See below.

The deleted user is appearing presumably because the report runs a SELECT query that is failing to flag out those users marked as deleted, (or just possibly, because I deleted them today and the query is not eliminating today's deletions). In common with most other canonical databases the users are probably not actually wiped out of existence by 'deletion'. What I cannot comment on is why there appear two distinct styles.

So, I have also been back to the second moodle instance TTT.uk.net (which is live) and deleted a redundant user. Sure enough, that user appears in the 'drop-down' in email-style. Of course, that user has no role assignments in the report.

If I do have the latest version of the report, then I don't think this was the behaviour Tim intended and I expect he will want to address the issue.

John

username-style:
username (forename surname)

email-style:
email timecode_deleted?
(forename surname)
In reply to John White

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, it seems it wasn't checking for deleted users. I think that should be it sorted (in CVS)

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-450

by John White -
Thanks for this.

Tim's report in Modules and Plugins needs this new version too.

Regards,

John
In reply to John White

by Howard Miller -
That will update overnight automagically (not sure whose night smile )

by John White -
Ta!

The blissfully ignorant,

John W

BTW Does my earlier comment about the drop-down itself occur for the very reason that this mod is not part of the core, or is there still a fault there to sort out?

And I really like automagically - how true. J
In reply to John White

by Howard Miller -
Mmm... it worked for me in 1.9. You can scroll down and select the one you want.

You *did* make the modification in weblib described in the plugins database?

by John White -
Dooh!

I had typed requires.css, not require.css. (I was forced by the size of the file to do the edit on another computer and did not paste the change in).

Very sorry for that bit of the post, it now works brilliantly!

JW

by Jonathan Moore -
I agree, pretty handy for diagnosing complicated role setups.
In reply to Jonathan Moore

by Megan Rintoul -
I'm new to Moodle, but I want to try out this user role report because it sounds handy. I followed the instructions at http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1005 . An option userroles does show up in my reports menu but when I click on it I get a blank screen.
I am running Moodle 1.8.2 and I noticed that earlier posts said it hadn't been tested in Moodle 1.8, but there was no reason it shouldn't work.
Does anyone know if there is something I forgot to do?