Quiz module now has password and IP restrictions

Quiz module now has password and IP restrictions

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In the quiz module you can now set a password on a quiz (it must be entered before each attempt).

You can also define a comma-separated list of IP subnets and addresses. If you do this, then only matching machines are able to attempt results.

eg 192.168, 234.21.33.0/24, 231.222.45.214

This should allow a lot of restricting and locking that wasn't possible before.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Quiz module now has password and IP restrictions

by Thomas Robb -
This is fantastic Martin! Thanks for implementing it. I tip my Moodle mug to you!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ger Tielemans -
is this ip-range restriction also possible for the attendance module?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Certainly could be added.

You could also just have a quiz that day with one question: Are you here today?  True/False.   big grin
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, but how many answers, taken from several "one question quizzess on several days" are counting as PASS the grading for enough attendancies (lets say 8 out of 10?).wide eyes

In the modified gradebook I could do that with the calculated colums, but that is also not in the distribution wink

And I think it is easy done, as is adding the grading in the tables for such a fast programmer like you, who is shooting faster then his own shadow big grin

(I killed multi attendencies in my attendance modul, because that ends up easily in TEACHER OVERCONTROL)

By the way, this IP-range check solves our problem that a student can do the test "sick at home in bed", with the support of the whole family wink 

by Michael Magpantay -
Hi, I saw the password option in quiz but even if I put a password there, quiz users (students) are not prompted to key-in the password before taking the quiz. What could be the problem here?

by Monico Briseño -
Picture of Testers
Is this quiz module feature available in Moodle 1.3.1?

In reply to Monico Briseño

by Shane Elliott -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
It's only available in the development version as it relies on some library functions not available in the stable version.
In reply to Shane Elliott

WATCH OUT

by Ger Tielemans -

I made that mistake and am now in trouble??

I sent Martin on 6 juli a PANIC email about that with at the bottom the content:

[OT]: I made a mistake on our productionserver:

I installed 1.3.1 and added the newest versions of Forum and Quiz...

...and then discovered that it was for 1.4, but could do no roll-back... (And like the new optionssmile)

..so added the libs... and then also setup.php...

....and had to remove the three routines from course/lib that moved to the central.lib...

QUESTION: AM I SAVE NOW OR will there be other disasters popup???

Anybody else?

by Paul Evans -
Is it possible to have the password unique to a student?

reason: I am looking into moodle as a means of delivering for-pay testing for a client.

I just started with moodle a couple of days ago though, so I may be looking at the wrong module even. Also, I saw a thread (somewhere) about business add-ons.

I was just thinking of locating the general code for courses which contained the lookup for the course passwd/key and anding it with a new table that recorded payment.

OT: what I really want to do is gush for a few pages about how mature and well documented moodle is. I have it installed under both mysql and postgresql (preferred) so far with zero difficulties encountered. Great work everyone! I hope to be able to contribute in the future.