Adding a new survey - Missing link

Adding a new survey - Missing link

by Kristina Schneider -
Number of replies: 4
I have developped the very first course on knowingpower.com using the moodle platform (to view as guest, the enrollment key is 'v1s1t0r').

As part of my Instructional Design course requirement, I have to append a 32 question formative evaluation survey. I also have to be able to determine 'who' answered 'what'.

I cannot use the quiz function and using the choice function would be so very time consuming for me to program and for the learner to answer. I would like to add a survey (which I am willing to share with you all!).

So far, I have modified the lang\en\survey.php file and added my questions. I cannot however figure out where these strings are called from.

I found the mod\survey\db\mysql.php file but when I modify it, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the file generated when I ask to create a new survey. (I'm guessing this is only a patch?)

It seems I am missing an important piece of the puzzle.

Help?

K.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristina Schneider

Re: Adding a new survey - Missing link

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The structure of a survey is built up in the database, see the tables "survey" and "survey_questions". Note that some "multi" questions reference other questions. I'm sorry about the lack of documentation for this, but hopefully you can work it out. One day there will be a GUI to do all this.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Kristina Schneider -
Thanks so much Martin!

I managed to write the new survey by editing the MySQL database. I would like to share it if you are interested. I'd have to figure out how to export it.

Cheers,

K.
In reply to Kristina Schneider

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Great! Your site looks very slick too ... nice job!

There is no way to easily export/import surveys yet (but there will be one day).

You could email me your modified survey.php and a MySQL dump of the survey_questions table - perhaps I could include the survey in a future Moodle release.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Kristina Schneider -
Thank you for the complement on the site. I had a lot of fun doing it.

I will export the survey when I have a moment to figure out how and send it to you.

Our experience with Moodle was a very positive one and our instructional package was very well received during the formative evaluation. On to the next part!

Thank you for developing this!