Course Listing Layout

Course Listing Layout

by Thuan Nguyen -
Number of replies: 3
Hi all,

New to designing themes for Moodle. Actually, I am new to Moodle as well; so this might be a backend setting question but... how do we change the layout of the course listing. Instead of two columns I want two rows. The two columns layout simply leaves too much white space on the left. This is both on the frontpage and in the courses section.

Oh, I am using Moodle 1.9 if that make a difference.

Thanks in advance,
Thuan V. Nguyen
http://www.a8le.com
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thuan Nguyen

Re: Course Listing Layout

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Thuan
I agree that the two columns on either side of the content take up too much room. I suggest you try out moving all course blocks from the left to the right or vice versa then turn editing off. You will be surprised to see how much more room the middle content area gets!
If that is not quite right for you, the information on how to create your own theme is available here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/How_to_easily_make_your_Moodle_theme this will allow you to alter the layout to rows.
Good luck & I hope this helps smile
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Thuan Nguyen -
Hi Teresa,

Thank you for the reply. But I am still lost...

Can you please elaborate on this... "I suggest you try out moving all course blocks from the left to the right or vice versa then turn editing off."

BTW, I checked out the link and saw nothing... am I totally missing it?

Again thanks for the help,
Thuan
In reply to Thuan Nguyen

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Thuan

You say: "change the layout of the course listing. Instead of two columns I want two rows."
My apologies, I first guessed you were talking about the course page with two columns on either side of the main content in which case the teacher can move the side course blocks around.

Now I think you are talking about changing the layout of the course information elements that list the title & teacher name plus the course description. If this is the case you should create your own theme and alter the layout of the elements for that information.

The link I provided includes information on creating your own custom theme on Moodle docs. I'm fairly new to themes too but I think you should alter the layout for the .coursebox on the #site-index page and the #course-category page in the site/theme/themname/styles_layout.css file (the attached screenshot was taken with Firefox's Web Developer toolsbar outlining the style information), e.g.

#site-index .coursebox blah blah
#course-category .coursebox blah blah {
css stuff
}

Good luck
Teresa
Attachment coursebox_classes.gif