Dialogue update for Moodle v1.9

Dialogue update for Moodle v1.9

by Dean Stringer -
Number of replies: 4
Greetings all.

The University of Waikato in New Zealand recently contracted Catalyst to do some work on the Dialogue module which we'd like to contribute back to the community.

I've attached an outline of the changes we've had made to the module to bring it in line with v1.9, highlighting some changes we've made to it to suit our particular use of it.

Have a look at the attached document and please provide any feedback in this forum. We're particularly interested in whether the changes we've made are different enough that the community feels this should be a separate module. Many of the changes are around roles/capability-support, and general v1.9 conformance so it shouldn't be a problem hopefully.

Please contact me directly if you'd like a copy of the code to test in your own environment. We are currently using the changes on our production Moodle platform but would encourage you to test it locally first.

After some testing and approval from the community then I guess If the next step will be for us (or someone with CVS commit access) to add this to the main Contrib CVS repository for the Dialogue module.

look FWD to hearing from you,
Dean Stringer (eLearning Technologist - University of Waikato, NZ)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dean Stringer

Re: Dialogue update for Moodle v1.9

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Sure thing - please post the mods and I'll be happy to test/comment/help. I'll deal with the cvs too.

It's probably best to zip this up and attach here so the maximum number of people can try it??
In reply to Howard Miller

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Howard - Actually what I am trying to encourage as the best thing, is to create an issue in the tracker requesting to add the code to CVS, applying for CVS access, and adding a Modules and Plugins entry. A more detailed description is available at:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Guidelines_for_contributed_code

As much as possible I would like to avoid having zip files in the forums because it is hard to determine which one is the latest. By using Modules and Plugins we can link to the auto-generated zip file and assure that folks are getting the latest code from CVS.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if there are any questions. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Dean Stringer -
New tracker item has been created, and code attached to it...
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-412
In reply to Dean Stringer

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Dean
I found a little bug in the new version of Dialogue (downloaded and patched with the code found on Issue Tracker)

Some generated SQL code is incompatible with Postgres (and also MsSQL and Oracle AFAIK)
Lines 462 to 475 of dialogue/lib.php should be changed to:
-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------
return get_records_sql("SELECT l.time, l.url, u.firstname, u.lastname, e.dialogueid, d.name, c.subject, l.userid
FROM {$CFG->prefix}log l,
{$CFG->prefix}dialogue d,
{$CFG->prefix}dialogue_conversations c,
{$CFG->prefix}dialogue_entries e,
{$CFG->prefix}user u
WHERE l.time > $timestart AND l.course = $course->id AND l.module = 'dialogue'
AND l.action = 'add entry'
AND e.id = " . sql_cast_char2int('l.info') .
" AND c.id = e.conversationid
AND (c.userid = $USER->id or c.recipientid = $USER->id)
AND d.id = e.dialogueid
AND u.id = e.userid
AND e.userid <> $USER->id");

-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------8<-------

(I've just posted this patch on Issue Tracker too