New Module : Mobile Quiz - Quizzes for Mobile Phones

New Module : Mobile Quiz - Quizzes for Mobile Phones

by Brett R -
Number of replies: 34
The 'Mobile Quiz' module allows you to create mobile versions of your existing moodle quizzes. Each mobile quiz is a java application (j2me midlet) that can be installed onto a mobile phone.

If you're interested, documentation can be found at http://mobilestudy.org/moodle/mobilequiz/

Note that this module requires PHP5 and has only been tested on Moodle v1.9

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brett R

Re: New Module : Mobile Quiz - Quizzes for Mobile Phones

by Antonio Vicent -
Hello Brett,

It is a very useful module. It is a good example of the use of quiz formative. Only lack a conversion of languages other than English in the application (quiz generated), if desired can translate the text of the module into Spanish.

Congratulations on your idea and work!
In reply to Antonio Vicent

by Brett R -
Hi Antonio,

Thanks for the feedback. We'll try and get a Spanish version working soon. Any help with translating the text would be appreciated,

- Brett

http://mobilestudy.org

by Brett R -

The Mobile Quiz module is now available in Spanish. Thanks Antonio for providing the translation.

And the mobile java application created by the module now supports Spanish, French, Portuguese, German, Italian and Dutch - though the moodle module itself only has English and Spanish translations.

There have also been fixes to some bugs which causes errors at times when trying to create a Mobile Quiz.

To download this latest version, follow the links at either  http://mobilestudy.org/moodle/mobilequiz/ or the via the moodle module page.

In reply to Brett R

by Adrian Nicolaiev -
>And the mobile java application ... Portuguese.

Some suggestions:
1 - Translate Mark as Marque
2 - Translate Unmark as Desmarque
3 - Translate Next as Próximo (not Em seguida)
4 - Translate Welcome to as Bem-vindo a (not Boa Vinda a)

HTH,

Adrian Nicolaiev

In reply to Brett R

by Antonio Vicent -

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the useful application. Surely changes in the package of language invite its translation into other languages. In the short time I will be translated into Catalan.

Regarding package name in Spanish language IMHO think it is more appropriate to appoint as es_utf8, instead es_es_utf8 so they can take advantage of the different languages children (es_es, es_ar, es_mx).

Cheers,

by Brett R -
Hi Antonio,

Yes, you are correct. The language file should be es_utf8 and not es_es_utf8. I have fixed that in the latest version of the module (20070517) which is now available at http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1331

Other changes to the module in the latest version are:
  • Inclusion of Brazilian Portuguese translation (thanks for that Adrian).
  • Configuration is now via the module administration menu rather than having to edit config.php
I look forward to including your Catalan translation into the module.

Regards,
Brett

In reply to Brett R

by Antonio Vicent -

Hi Brett,

Translation in Spanish of the mobile java application.

Some suggestions:
1 - Change: Para comenzar un nuevo concurso seleccione por favor nuevo del menú as Para comenzar el cuestionario elija Comenzar del menú
2 - Change: Nuevo as Comenzar
3 - Translate Mark as Marcar
2 - Translate Unmark as Desmarcar
3 - Translate Next as Siguiente
4 - Change: Recepción as Bienvenido

Regards,

by Grant P -
Thanks for that Antonio,

We're in the process of getting the new translation up online.
In reply to Grant P

Re: New Module : Mobile Quiz (Spanish)

by Antonio Vicent -

Hi Brett,

This is the file with the Spanish language in latest updates (Mobile Quiz module, version:  2008061300)
On the other hand, I can say if they can include graphics in the quiz generated by Moodle.

Greetings

Re: New Module : Mobile Quiz (Spanish)

by Brett R -
Hi Antonio,

The Spanish language updates have been incorporated into the latest version of the Mobile Quiz module as well as the spelling correction you suggested for the midlet - thanks again.

Also, the module now allows 'Essay' and 'Description' question types. These question types will be displayed on the phone without prompting the user for an answer.

Re: Images. Although images cannot be added to the mobile quizzes via moodle, they can be added via the www.mobilestudy.org site once the mobile quiz has been created.

The latest module is available at:
http://mobilestudy.org/moodle/mobilequiz/ or
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=1331

Regards,
Brett

http://www.mobilestudy.org
http://mobilestudy.blogspot.com/

In reply to Brett R

by Adrian Nicolaiev -
Brett,

I've alreaddy posted some comments in Mobile Quiz main page. But, by that time, I missed this discussion thread. I only found it, using Google, while looking for some more Mobile Quiz users and examples.
I suggest that you include this thread in a Discussion Link on that same main page.
IMHO, this is one of best modules ever made for Moodle. I will try to contribute with images and Brazilian Portuguese translation (if you wish).

Thanks,

Adrian Nicolaiev
Brazil

In reply to Adrian Nicolaiev

by Brett R -

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the feedback. A link to this thread is now on the Mobile Quiz module page.

If you'd like to provide a Portuguese translation that would be great. The text that needs to be translated can be found in the file lang/en_utf8/mobilequiz.php in the latest version of the module (version 2008051100).

Regarding your question about an interface been Hot Potatoes and Mobile Quiz: While we don't have any immediate plans to create such an application, we would certainly consider it if there was enough demand.

- Brett

In reply to Brett R

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Brett,

Interesting! I am wondering how your mobile quiz module is similar or different to the earlier mobile quiz module called Moodle for Mobiles created in 2006 and recently updated to version 1.9. See some MFM Docs here, too.

Thanks,
Don
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Brett R -

Hi Don,

The Mobile Quiz module differs from the MFM in that the quiz is not displayed in the phone's web browser. Instead it is a standalone java application (AKA midlet or J2ME application) that can be stored on the phone. This means there's is no need for the phone to have an internet connection for the quiz to be used.

The current version of the module doesn't allow students to submit their results from the phone. The idea is that students can practice their quizzes whenever and wherever they like once they've downloaded the midlet onto their phone.

I hope this answers your question,

Cheers,

Brett

In reply to Brett R

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
....Java midlet ....This means there's is no need for the phone to have an internet connection for the quiz to be used.

Very cool. This approach has several immediate advantages I can think of.
  • Lower charges. In Japan, we found an internet session for a quiz could cost around US$0.40.
  • Better control of screen design. Our MFM screens tend to squeeze the main site screen design. I assume you have some Java applet authoring program that can build something customized to fit.
  • Faster operation. Operation is on the phone, not a distant server.
  • Avoid lost connections. Very frustrating for students.
Disadvantages to students and teachers? Well, it is free for now. Is it open source? Can it be set up on any server besides the Mobile Study server?

The current version of the module doesn't allow students to submit their results from the phone. The idea is that students can practice their quizzes whenever and wherever they like once they've downloaded the midlet onto their phone.

Actually submitting results in realtime is not so important. What is important is that students get constant feedback in real time, which it seems this module does. We found the main need was practice, not testing. While monitoring the results or the amount of participation is nice, it can wait.

If a teacher can make a parallel, mirrored quiz on the main course page, students can practice on their phones, then take the internet quiz for submitting results.

I am eager to hear more. Have you found any recent phones that do not support the MIDP 1.0 specification? Nokia is not popular in Japan.

In reply to Brett R

by Adrian Nicolaiev -
Brett,

I've uploaded this AVI, illustrating Mobile Quiz running in a generic Mobile Phone.
It was based on this quiz. I used this JAR.
In order to view the AVI, you may need to install this codec from TechSmith.

HTH,

Adrian Nicolaiev
Brazil

by Grant P -
HI Adrian.

Thanks for that the great vid, you've done a good job of showing off the features of the mobile app. I was hoping to take your vid and expand on it and make it into a brief tutorial for the mobilestudy website. Would that be O.K?

We're looking for ways to easily explain how to create quizzes and use the mobile app.

Thanks for all your feedback,
Regards,
Grant
In reply to Grant P

by Adrian Nicolaiev -
Grant,

>Would that be O.K?

You are welcome...
If you need some help, contact me.
Hope this vid may help spreading mobilestudy concept and usability in Moodle world.

Wish list:

1 - Send a SMS to a specific mobile phone containing mobile quiz responses.
2 - Send, via bluetooth or infrared, a mobile quiz.
3 - Include QRCode as an option to read a JAD URL Link.

mobilequiz.png

Thanks,

Adrian Nicolaiev

by Brett R -
Hi Adrian,

Your Brazilian Portuguese translation has been included in the latest version of the module. Thanks for that.

Regarding your wish list:
1. SMS: We hope to have an SMS feature included in the module in the near future. In the meantime, you can login to the http://mobilestudy.org site and send an SMS from there. You just need to login, find your quiz and select 'Install To Phone'
2. Bluetooth/Infrared: Once you've downloaded the jar file you your computer, you should be able to transfer it to your phone using infrared and/or bluetooth provided that both the computer and the phone have infrared/bluetooth hardware and provided the that your phone's software allows installation of java applications using infrared/bluetooth.
3. QRCode: The use of QRCode is an interesting idea. We'll investigate further.

Regards,
Brett.

In reply to Brett R

by Adrian Nicolaiev -
Brett,

1. SMS: Hope 'Submit Student Results' (to a specific mobile phone) via SMS comes soon. It seems that Brazil was included in 'Install To Phone' via SMS option in your site sorriso.
2. Bluetooth/Infrared: I forgot to mention that Phone-To-Phone was my wish. BTW, I use MOBILedit (via bluetooth) to perform Computer-To-Phone and Phone-To-Computer tasks.
3. QRCode: Another suggestion: Make a shorter link like TinyURL. This will also decrease QRCode version and size, increasing its readability on several QRCode Readers. I suggest NeoReader.

qr?DATA=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3jv2uj&MODULE_SIZE=4&name=&MARGIN=2&ENCODING=BYTE&type=link&MODE=TEXT&a=view

HTH,

Adrian Nicolaiev
Brazil

by Brett R -
Adrian,

See comments below.

>> 1. SMS: Hope 'Submit Student Results' (to a specific mobile phone) via SMS
>> comes soon. It seems that Brazil was included in 'Install To Phone' via SMS
>> option in your site sorriso.

This shouldn't be too difficult for us to implement - though not all MIDP1.0 phones allow java apps to directly send SMS messages.

>> 2. Bluetooth/Infrared: I forgot to mention that Phone-To-Phone was my wish.
>> BTW, I use MOBILedit (via bluetooth) to perform Computer-To-Phone and
>> Phone-To-Computer tasks.

Do you want bluetooth/infrared so that the java application can be copied from phone-to-phone? Or for quiz results to be transferred phone-to-phone? Or something else?

>>3. QRCode: Another suggestion: Make a shorter link like TinyURL. This will
>> also decrease QRCode version and size, increasing its readability on several
>> QRCode Readers. I suggest NeoReader.

Using tinyurl is a great idea Adrian. We will definitely implement this.

Regards,
Brett

In reply to Brett R

by Adrian Nicolaiev -
Brett,

>> Do you want bluetooth/infrared so that the java application can be copied
>> from phone-to-phone?

Yes, java application being copied from phone-to-phone. So, students could spread (in a University, School or Company) their quizzes as a kind of challenge.

QRCode Tip: I've just found an interesting Mozilla Firefox Plugin: Mobile Barcode. After installing, a context menu will be enabled (via mouse right-click over a link or an iluminated text) showing a QRCode image popup. See below.

QRCode Image Popup

HTH,

Adrian Nicolaiev
Brazil

by Brett R -
Adrian,

A new version of the mobilequiz module is now available that will display QR Codes for the mobile quiz midlets. Thanks for that suggestion.

Other changes in this version include:
  • improvements to the Spanish translation in the midlet
  • communication between the moodle server and mobilestudy.org server is now encrypted (SSL)

To get the new module, go to http://www.mobilestudy.org/moodle/mobilequiz/ and follow the 'Download Module' link.

- Brett

by Brett R -
The 'Submit Results via SMS' feature has now been added to the Mobile Quiz module.

Teachers now have the ability to enter a mobile phone number when creating a mobile quiz. Students that sit the quiz can SMS back the results from within the Mobile Quiz Application to the number entered by the teacher.

The module can be downloaded via http://www.mobilestudy.org/moodle/mobilequiz/ . Just follow the 'Download Module' link at the bottom of the page.

Brett R
In reply to Brett R

Ynt: New Module : Mobile Quiz - Quizzes for Mobile Phones

by Kemal Can -
Hi i wantto use this module in turkish, how can i translate?

Can you share language file for translate...

congrulation this is great !
In reply to Kemal Can

Re: Ynt: New Module : Mobile Quiz - Quizzes for Mobile Phones

by Brett R -
Hi Kemal,

The language file for the moodle module is attached. If you can send me the file with the translated text, I will include it in future releases of the module.

We also need to create a turkish translation for the text in the phone application (midlet). Your assistance with this would be appreciated. I'll send you a list of the text that requires translation.

Regards,
Brett
In reply to Kemal Can

by Brett R -
Hi Kemal,

Attached is the turkish translation for the text in the phone application (midlet).

If you could check the translations and send me any corrections, I'll make sure they get added to the module.

Regards
Brett

In reply to Brett R

by Joanna Tsai -

It seems you transfer the ftp address today, I can not access it.

It printed as "

502 Bad Gateway"

In reply to Brett R

by Vikas Bansal -

Hi BRET

Wonderful Application for all users. I face one problem when i try to design a  quiz for my student. I was not able to put impage in options or answer. because many of questions contains images in options/answer for my matamatical and chemistry quiz.

Vikas Bansal

Web4Bharat

In reply to Brett R

by Jason Bamidele -

Hello Brett,

This is a very useful module however, am wondering if instead of doing the conversion of the quizzes on your site and sharing the final jar midlet on your site, it can be done locally on a moodle installation.

What do you think?

Regards, Jason