Given name of user, how to find his roles (permissions)

by Adrian Stock -
Number of replies: 4

Is there a simple way for the Administrator to display the name of a user and find out which global roles have been assigned to her?

At present I can only do this by an indirect route, with which I am not satisfied:

Site Administration

Users | Permissions | Assign global roles |

Click on each role in turn

List of users holding this role will then be displayed.

- -----------------

I would have expected to find this information more directly, e.g.

Site Administration

Users | Accounts | Browse List of Users |

but the Roles of each user ain't given there.

What is the most efficient way of finding this information?

Thanks.

Adrian

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Stock

Re: Given name of user, how to find his roles (permissions)

by Lesli Smith -
Hi, Adrian. You ask such great questions. I hope your email questions have been resolved to at least a satisfactory level for you for now.

Hmmm. I don't currently work on too many sites with global roles, which means I haven't yet encountered the need for this information, but I tried to research it a little for you. From what I can tell so far, you are about right. That is the only way to see global roles since the only roles that show up in profiles are roles that a user has in individual courses.

I can see where this information would be very useful to have, though, on a large installation with several global roles employed. In fact, I can foresee needing to know the answer to this question myself in the very near future as more of my colleagues are getting interested in using Moodle themselves. If there is an easy answer that can be applied from the address window (ie. similar to the manual cron command) that someone knows that could explain it to me in "php for dummies" fashion, I would be very appreciative as well. If it has to be executed from the database code, just let us know that we need to find help from someone who knows how to do that. Thanks!

And thanks, Adrian, for your very complete and encouraging post to newbies in a different thread. Since some very responsive "guardian angels" that I admire have already said as much there, I won't clog inboxes with another thank you in that thread--so forgive the off-subject response here. smile
In reply to Adrian Stock

by John Isner -
You can install the third-party User's Roles Report for 1.9. There is also the third-party Role debugger. The role debugger displays all the information that Moodle uses to calculate a given permission in a given context, which includes both role assignments and overrides.
In reply to John Isner

by Adrian Stock -
I will look for that.

Thank you, John.

Adrian
In reply to John Isner

by Lesli Smith -
Good to know. Thanks, John!