Creating static resources based on powerpoint

Creating static resources based on powerpoint

by Stuart Cox -
Number of replies: 4

Right, here we go....

I'm new to moodle and think its going to be a great platform to take our highly interactive style of teaching into an e-learning environment. Here is the first of what I'm sure will be many questions, I hope its in the right area.

We use PowerPoint for virtually all our training, most presentations have straightforward, clean slides that only use "slide element building" in a limited way to help focus the verbal discussion that goes along with each point. As a start, I want to make the slides and notes available to students as the core element of each topic, hanging off this will be quizes, tutorials, chats, forums etc. The question is this... Is this a practical way of starting? Do people often "simply" place powerpoint in their sites? Or is this rare? Do most people convert their PP to some form of flash or movie?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

All the best

Stuart

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Cox

Re: Creating static resources based on powerpoint

by Andy Hoang -
Hiya Stuart

I would suggest having a look at http://www.slideshare.net/ for sharing slides with your pupils. It converts it to a flash and you can embed and things. It just seems to be a nicer way to present things on the web I find.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stuart Cox

by Art Lader -

Welcome to MoodleLand Stuart,

Lots of teachers at my school upload PPT to the site. It works out pretty well, except that sometimes viewing the presentation inn the browser is an issue. If that happens at your school, keep this tip in mind -- http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=38425#p177009

I do encourage our teachers to convert their presentations to Flash. I have been experimenting with this for a few days now and am quite happy with it -- http://www.print2flash.com.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Art
In reply to Stuart Cox

by Stuart Cox -

Thanks for the input. After a bit of fiddling I have dusted off a copy of demo builder I have. This is a great tool for capturing screen shots and then annotating them with voice, graphics and other things. I like it a lot and will try and drive things that way. So, next question, when you have a resource like a flash movie, I want to display it in a separate window and allocate a larger area for the actual movie. At the moment, when I specify a window size, this is mainly allocated to the "normal" moodle stuff, the actual window for the movie is small (640x480?) I want to capture at 1024x768 and then display in a window that big. I like having the Moodle surround but want a bigger window for the flash.

I guess I'm missing something obvious?

Thanks

Stuart

In reply to Stuart Cox

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I think....if you just upload your swf file and then when you link to it in Resources, tick 'open in  new window' it should just show the file as you made it - without the Moodle surround? Or have I misunderstood you?