Custom Resource? Show image and text teaser that links to movie and outline

Custom Resource? Show image and text teaser that links to movie and outline

by c tors -
Number of replies: 1

Ok,

I may be asking a ridiculous question.. but here it goes.

I am using the Topics format.  In my topic outline I would like a resource that allows me to attach:

1.  A thumbnail image;

2.  Some teaser text;

3.  A movie;

4.  Some HTML text.

When I add a new resource of this type to my course, I would like the Topic outline to show the thumbnail and the teaser text next to it.  The text would link to a new window that shows the outline and the movie...(see attached image)

Where would I start to achieve something like this?  Does this mean creating a new or extending an existing resource?  Has anyone done anything similar?

Just give me a shove in the right direction.  What amount of effort am I looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Attachment thumbnailResource.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to c tors

Re: Custom Resource? Show image and text teaser that links to movie and outline

by Marcel Heusinger -
Hello Christian,
currently I am developing two resources for a project, may be we can share some experiences.
My resources are working but I would love to integrate them more into the moodle source code to make it easier to adjust them to new moodle versions.
I will explain, what I have done so far, hope it helps you with your project:

First, you should look at the files and directories in [moodle]\mod\resource\type
Every directory contains one of the resources that can be added to an existing course.
In my case I proceeded the fowloing steps:
1. I added another directory,
2. I copied all the files from the [moodle]\mod\resource\type directory to my new directory
3. I edited the resource.class.php to adjust it to my new resource type

I think that are the major steps for creating new resource types.
It was fine for me, hope it will be helpful for you.

Best regards,
Marcel