John Seely Brown and Martin D. at MoodleMoot SF 08

John Seely Brown and Martin D. at MoodleMoot SF 08

by Jason Cole -
Number of replies: 3
We are thrilled to announce John Seely Brown will be appearing at MoodleMoot San Francisco 2008. Dr. Brown will be discussing his work on learning, creativity and the web. As an extra treat, Martin Dougiamas and Dr. Brown will discuss Moodle, learning and the future of teaching on the web.

Please join us for this extraordinary event which is sure to be both challenging and inspiring!

We are also happy to announce the HackFest SF on June 9th at the Best Western. Join the core development team for a day of discussions around the next phase of Moodle development.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Cole

Re: John Seely Brown and Martin D. at MoodleMoot SF 08

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Excuse the ignorance, but who is John Seely Brown?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Tony Hursh -
John Seely Brown.

One of my favorite bits in The Social Life of Information was where one of the authors (I forget if it was Brown or Duguid) noticed a fellow researcher pulling old letters from an archive box and sniffing them.

It seems that he was studying historical cholera epidemics, and (at that time) it was believed that vinegar would prevent the spread of the disease. Even after hundreds of years, letters from cholera-infected areas still smelled of vinegar.

That's not something that's going to be captured by Google Books any time soon. smile

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jon Allen -
Good Evening,

John Seely Brown was the chief scientist at Xerox PARC for a while. You can find more info about him at his site:

http://www.johnseelybrown.com/

We are very excited about his participation, and I, personally, can't wait to hear his presentation.

jon