GSOC: Moodle Multisite

GSOC: Moodle Multisite

by David Horat -
Number of replies: 12
This is the main thread of the Moolde Multisite project. Feel free to ask here.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Horat

Re: GSOC: Moodle Multisite

by Roberto Pinna -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi,
I know that University of Turin has already worked in this direction so I think they could help the development.

Cheers,
Bobo.
In reply to David Horat

by billy v. -
Hi,

I happened to stumble upon Moodle's GSOC page because there aren't many web-based open source projects listed. The one I did recognize, I decided to stay away from because of some bad past experiences ;)

Anyways, I've always been interested in creating something like Moodle, especially after using my current University's online applications for homework/notes, so this is a project I would definately be interested in.

I don't believe that Multisite would take the entire summer to implement, but it is one of the ideas I would like to help out with along with possibly the web-based upgrade/plugins interface.

I've also recently started enjoying JS more after discovering the wonderful JS libraries (jQuery, mootools, YUI, etc), so the roles interface improvements also interests me some. I will try to install Moodle on my dev. box tonight and play around and see which ideas interest me the most.

Thanks!

-Billy

(sorry if this isn't a good place to introduce myself)
In reply to billy v.

by David Horat -
Hi Billy. I definitely suggest you to take a look at Moodle source code before deciding to work with it ;). I find it clearer than many other web apps out there.

I do believe that the Multisite feature can take an entire summer, but that of course depends on the student itself and all the extra-features we think about: auto-install with several sites, good looking AJAX configuration frontend, extensive testing so it can be quickly included in the core code, etc.

So I would like this project to be independent from others.

If you have a new idea not covered in the Students project, feel free to post it in this forum as a new thread so people can discuss it. smile
In reply to David Horat

Odp: GSOC: Moodle Multisite

by Bartosz Cisek -
Hi,

I think it's really good idea to implement Multisite feature. It would be veru usefull for universities where each faculty wants to have own customized LMS.

I was looking for this feature for a long time smile

regards,

Bartek
In reply to David Horat

by Rossi Kamal -

Hi

The database  integration, content,module & theme  sharing should be some of the major issues...what would be the strategy of that?

"

Does a copy in one site would prevent other sites not to include them on that database?

Does each site should be back-upped in other repository like a superadmin site?to maintain the coordination that should be necessary...

Does one site should import other site or its any module or customized themes or any paricular block  at any time?In fact the dynamicity of it lies on dynamically being a member of muti-environment or muti-blocks where we can switch to at any time....

Does one admin of one site prevent other site's admin to his specific database portion or content or secured issues

"

as a developer we should look more over those things..But have to keep in mind that user friendly options

looking to participate on the nice challenge of it

In reply to Rossi Kamal

by David Horat -
Hi Rossi. I will answer your questions with my ideas, although things can be changed.

Does a copy in one site would prevent other sites not to include them on that database?

Yes. Each site has its own full database. They only share the same source code.

Does each site should be back-upped in other repository like a superadmin site?to maintain the coordination that should be necessary...

There is only one source code to backup if that´s what you mean.

Does one site should import other site or its any module or customized themes or any paricular block at any time?In fact the dynamicity of it lies on dynamically being a member of muti-environment or muti-blocks where we can switch to at any time....

There is just one source code but each site has its own database, thus each module can be configured.

Does one admin of one site prevent other site's admin to his specific database portion or content or secured issues

An admin of a site should only be able to access his database. The first admin user is the only one who should be able to configure sites and thus access all sites so we can call it somehow superadmin. Since each site has its own database, it will have its own user, except the superadmin which should be common to all.
In reply to David Horat

by Rossi Kamal -

Hello David

Then if at time interval a new site is to be added it will be the superadmin who will add new site to the admin pannel .As a result a new site will be created.Then he will give privilege to that site's admin to monitor the site.

Same thing should be applicable for site remove

If the matter is that 'I m a super admin &  i have a database & each table of database corresponds to particular site & each table has been assigned to an admin..'

Rossi

In reply to Rossi Kamal

by David Horat -
Each site has a completely differente database.
In reply to David Horat

by Rossi Kamal -

Then how does the superadmin controls...Doesnt there exist a central database for every site & each site has own database also. Or you are thinking each site is independent & can communicate or share things if necessary...

If i am wrong on my viewpoint?

In reply to Rossi Kamal

by David Horat -
When executing the Moodle PHP code, one of the first things is to fill some information about the database to use. This database info could be changed upon the start of the project in code. So we could use several databases with the same code.

Anyway, this project has been parked due to some parallel work done by other people around the idea of one single database for multiple sites.
In reply to David Horat

by Christos Karakirios -
Hi from around here also. Just a question to cover some gaps (if able). When you say "same source code" with different databases, do you mean that these databases could rest also in various servers around the globe, or should they be on the same web-server the main source code rest? Because, in the first case, we should take care of traffic jams, break-down incidents and performance of various sites and on the other hand we have to think about the "centralization" which might barrier this project. Thank you in advance for any thoughts.
In reply to Christos Karakirios

by David Horat -
They could rest also in various servers around the world. Right now, your database doesn´t need to be in the same server as your application, so the concerns are quite the same.