Course Backup Errors

Course Backup Errors

by Mark Pearson -
Number of replies: 6
I have not been able to successfully do a general course backup our 1.8.3+ installation. Ever. Individual course backups work fine. The system boyos do regular file system and database dumps but we need to backup all the working courses in order to migrate to the new version. I thought that it might be because of the large number of previous year's backup files in the front page files area, so I moved them out. Still no joy. Here's the error :

Course Time taken Status Next
Earlham Information Systems Moodle 2007-08 8 Mar, 01:00 - 8 Mar, 01:00 Error 15 Mar, 01:00
and this is repeated for every course (apart from the ones that are skipped).

Any ideas?

Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Pearson

Re: Course Backup Errors

by Sidney n/a -
I am having the same issue. Anyone have any ideas how to resolve it?
In reply to Sidney n/a

by V S -
same problem; no answer.
I wonder if my 'errors' are related to naming problems, but that's just a hunch because if there were spaces in files, after a crash and restore, the spaces (%20) turned into underscores. I also may be experiencing some improvements to secure my site from Dreamhost, webdav, htaccess -- which could be interrupting this?
Not sure where to look, so many threads just die off.
v

In reply to V S

by V S -
well, moving forward without hope,
Courses are in error.
Why ...
how will I know ...
just about ready to give up on this whole thing, although that isn't an option.

Courses: 59
 OK: 0
 Skipped: 45
 Error: 14
 Unfinished: 0

In reply to V S

by Neil Spurgeon -

I know that this is unlikely to be of any help to you whatsoever since I am on version 1.9.2 but we have always built a new moodle over the summer each year and then migrated the old data onto the new version in a new database. Isn't any kind of 'tech-savvy' answer but it does, like a good hard winter, clean out a lot of ongoing, never-seemingly-resolved bugs and psudo-viri type problems. With Christmas just around the corner is there any chance of a clean server? We use Virtual servers which are obviously easier - being offered - even perhaps short time so that you could effectively rebuild your Moodle over the next couple of weeks.   If you've done it one or twice on any old stand alone machine - I rescued an antique compac laptop that was lying in a corner to be got rid of - it really becomes virtually second nature after the first couple of times if you keep good notes - then migrate the data into the new database, then completely rebuild the original server and install perhaps a slightly later version onto the old box and remigrate the data back again.

The problem will perhaps have gone away - since so few people seem to be reporting/helping you with it and, in any case, you will then have a complete back-up/test server to try other experiments on. (I hope none of them are reading this 'cos the final trick - having done this two years age - is that I then 'forgot' to return the 'borrowed-over-Christmas' server - which is where my test moodle came from !!!!!)

In reply to Mark Pearson

by ian reid -
I am also running 1.8.3 and have the same problem. So is upgrading to a higher version the only hope?

I was hoping to download a course 'blank' and reuse it.

Does anyone know if there is another way of achieving this?

Thanks

In reply to Mark Pearson

by João Sobrinho -
I'm also having the same error.

I check it out, and it is when moodle is zipping all the files.

I increased the memory limit and execution time, but i still get the error.

any solution on this ?

PS: this only happens in one course. the others are ok.