Official Moodle support

Official Moodle support

by Greg Rodenhiser -
Number of replies: 9
Can anyone recommend a Moodle partner or other 3rd party for offering official Moodle software support. We want to have our own install here on campus (on Linux), but purchase outside support.

Before moving too forward with this product this would be needed.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Rodenhiser

Re: Official Moodle support

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
being the kiwi that I am - I'd reccomend Catalyst NZ smile but to become a Moodle Partner takes a bit of work, and is basically a list of "recommended" companies that would be good to provide you this sort of support.

your best bet is to contact a couple of moodle partners - possibly in your area, but that isn't always necessary.

good luck!

smile

Dan
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Bryan Williams -
Greg,

Contact a Moodle partner in your country first, I'm sure you will find help.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Greg Rodenhiser -
Here in the US there are only three Moodle Partners. It appears that none of them will offer support if you want to host Moodle on your own server (ie not having them host for you). I understand that supporting an install that they didn't perform on hardware/OS they don't control can be difficult, but this is a requirement for us. I also understand they would only be able to support the actual Moodle code (not troubleshoot OS, Apache, or MySQL issues), which is fine. It's very frustrating to attempt a switch to Open Source software to save money and have the ability to run it anywhere, but then be forced to basically "rent" Moodle through a hosting agreement if we want support. While we could certainly run it unsupported and likely have no issues, if Moodle wants to make inroads in most organizations they'll need to have a formal support structure available to those who prefer not to outsource hosting.

by Al Padkowsky -
I use remote-learner and they have packages that offer 24/7 support of customers servers at the customer location.
In reply to Al Padkowsky

by Greg Rodenhiser -
Remote-Learner no longer offers support contracts for organizations wishing to host their own Moodle instances. you only have two options:

1.) They will host/support for you
2.) You can purchase a pre installed/configured server from them (think appliance). And they will support this.

Ideally we want to do our own install on our own hardware and simply get application support (we do this currently with Blackboard with no issues). I have yet to find a 3rd party that supports customer completed installs. Proprietary software vendors offer this, why not open source ones??

by Steve Hyndman -

You may want to contact this company...that is the way our campus is going for 24/7 support.

http://www.presidiumlearning.com/solution2.html

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Martín Langhoff -

Whoever picked that name!? smile Do they run it from a prison, or is it targetting incarcerated students?

In related news <spam>Catalyst IT, a well known Moodle Partner that gets quite a bit of core moodle development done, supports on-site Moodle installations. And they sponsor drinks at all the MoodleMoots in Oceania!</spam> big grin

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Steve Hyndman -

All I know is that they are one of the largest IT support organizations in the US.

Steve

by Bryan Williams -
Existing Remote-Learner clients with our Support Contract have no concern over loosing this support. We have temporarily suspended taking new remote Support Contracts when we launched the Moodle Appliance Server (MAS) unit around the first of the year. We had no idea that demand would be so strong. As soon as we hire more techs we will be offering remote Support Contracts again. I'm sorry Greg we couldn't help you at this time. sad