How to turn off smileys?

How to turn off smileys?

by Tommi Perälä -
Number of replies: 4
How can I turn off smileys in a particular html-resource? I'm writing a tutorial for MATLAB and the MATLAB syntax sometimes requires notations like 'A(1,:)'. It doesn't look right if there's a happy face among the MATLAB code because of the ':)'. Thanks in advance.

edit: hmm... here you can se my problem quite well, I think :)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tommi Perälä

Re: How to turn off smileys?

by Gustav W Delius -
Moodle has the plain text format for this (you have to turn of the HTML editor in your profile to be able to use it). The help file says: "This format is useful when you need to include lots of code or HTML that you want to be displayed exactly as you wrote it." Unfortunately it goes on to say: "It still translates smilies and new lines, but otherwise your text isn't touched.". I can not understand why it does translate smilies and, like you, I would very much like to see that removed. In fact, I will remove it evil unless I get a veto from Martin.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yeah, Gustav, you can take smilies out of the Plain text format.

Another workaround forTommi is simply to insert a space ... 'A(1,: )'
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tommi Perälä -
The workaround works fine for me because it's still correct MATLAB syntax. But could it be that in some situation it would be necessary to have those symbols as they are and not with the space in between? I don't know and can't see any right now, but I guess it's worth considering.