How can we make backup and restore reliable

How can we make backup and restore reliable

by Colin Chambers -
Number of replies: 2
Ok,

Due to the Offline Moodle project at the OU we've got a need to make backup super reliable cos we're using it to send content to students where they'll restore it to their Offline Moodle. We don't want to create a maintenance nightmare so we want to ensure the backup and restore process works reliably.

We're looking to outsource the work and my concern is that it's difficult to quantify the amount of work that'll be required so it's difficult to put a cost to it.

A quick check on Moodle Tracker for bugs related to backup and restore for all versions of moodle reveals 132 items. Not all of these will be relevant but it is a long list to go through to filter out those that aren't and I don't know how to make the filter more specific.

What approach does everyone recommend.I'm thinking of getting a list of priority fixes from tracker and focusing on these first.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Chambers

Re: How can we make backup and restore reliable

by Zied ALAYA -
it depend on what do you want to backup then restore: entire platform or with more detail(each course for example) ?
if it's the entire website, it's very easy, you have to backup 3 things: database, moodledata diorectory and the software(a simple directory !).
In reply to Zied ALAYA

Re: How can we make backup and restore reliable

by Colin Chambers -
Good point. We're talking about backups using the backup and restore process, so courses and modules etc. The process is good but everyone so often it errors. We need to make it much easier to find out the cause of each failure and then fix as many bugs as possible. We'll be using the process heavily once Offline Moodle goes live.