Hosting Moodle on own computer

Hosting Moodle on own computer

by Fred Frazelle -
Number of replies: 1
i've been considering hosting our Moodle on our own computer because even though our present webhoster says they're up >99% they still go down and bring down our 2 - 3 sites as well (only one has our Moodle site on it).

We want to enroll several (20 - 30) schools as Categories and under each one have 10 - 30 Courses, each course with, at this time, three quizes for the whole semester, with basically multiple choice or fill-in-the-blank questons.

Would this be possible to host on our own computer? We have a Duo Core 2.8 Ghz with 1 Gb of RAM and an 80 Gb hard disk. We're running PCLinuxOS but have no "hosting" experience other than using cPanel from our hosters site. Our computer is already always-on since we're part of a Folding@Home project, so the 2 CPUs share the load at this point. Our internet connection is through the local phone company, which provides us with a 2 MB/sec connection.

Is the above enough information? Any ideas would be very welcome because this hosting, intermittent, downtime is very scary with this sort of project in mind.

Have a great evening! smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fred Frazelle

Re: Hosting Moodle on own computer

by Greg Hayden -
I would find someone that can host a moodle website for you as it would be very reliable. Running the Folding at home project on the same system as moodle would not be the best idea.

If you have no real hosting experience I would not try to host it out of the box the first time.

Questions to help with how much load the moodle site will have:

How many students at all of those schools?

How many users do you expect to have simultaniously?

What kind of content is being hosted on the site?

What authentication method are you using right now?