Structure / Usage Question

Structure / Usage Question

by Glen Keune -
Number of replies: 3
Hello all, and thank you for this great resource.

I've spent the last several days researching various learning systems, and would like to know the following about Moodle, and possible recommendations for other solutions.

I need to create an online course that is completed in a linear fashion. No online testing will be taking place. The student will be presented with some text to read, a video to watch, and a PDF test to download and fill-out offline. There could be anywhere from 10-20 "steps" in this course, each set up the same way.

Can I keep users from seeing / advancing without having the video play through? I originally envisioned displaying a password at the end of the video that would allow the student to proceed.

All students would complete the course at their own pace, and the site would allow for enrollment at any time.

Finally, what types of payment systems are available? I saw PayPal mentioned during install, but are other gateways used? eg. Authorize.net

Thank you for your time.

Glen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glen Keune

Re: Structure / Usage Question

by Al Padkowsky -
Glen,

You can accomplish the goal by doing the following:
  1. Your course will actually be a series of 10 - 20 courses grouped in a course category. Your front page can be set to only show a course categories section, and you can rename the "course category" section title if desired.
  2. Include the enrollment key at the end of each video. When creating a course, you have the option to specific the need for an enrollment key. With the enrollment key, the student will then enroll in the next "course / step."
  3. There are multiple options for payment, but I haven't used this function. Searching the forums for this specific topic should provide many suggestions.
Al
In reply to Al Padkowsky

Re: Structure / Usage Question

by Robert Brenstein -
Technically, this will work, but it is way too easy for students to share the key to cheat, if there is a desire. A better approach might be to use the conditional activities. There is a separate forum dedicated to that. The basic idea is that an activity becomes available only when another activity is completed.