Simple CONSTRUCTIVE answer quiz with assesment

Simple CONSTRUCTIVE answer quiz with assesment

by Andrzej Kluza -
Number of replies: 2

If I reviewed well the possibilities of Moodle tests, there is no such structure, that support simple writing a single statement by the student, and assesment this for teacher. Is this constructivist approach, so I expect that student can act more elasticly, than multiple question and short answer, which is in my opinion very catching and making student dubious - you MUST give a right ONE word. Even s/he knows what's going on, it is possibility to fail, because it is not EXACTLY, as teacher wants. Is this good? No.

And I expect that software can support such point of view, because it can do much and save teachers' time and quator forests.

Martin writes: "what web structures and interfaces encourage or hinder participants to engage in reflective dialogue within a community of learners - by reading openly, reflecting critically and writing constructively?" _writing constructively_ is MORE than guessing what teacher has inputed into text field, to make me a good learner.

I look for :

Question: What are sides of the world?
Answer: [N, S, W, E, topward, downward]

This answer could not be based on Short Answer, Single Choice, Multiple Choice.

And I look for assesment as comparison of answers for teacher which can be easier to compare and asses:

Question: What are sides of the world?
Answer1: [N, S, W, E, topward, downward] Points: [choose how many]
Answer2: [N, S, W, E]                   Points: [choose how many]
Answer3: [sth else..... ]                   Points: [choose how many]

I hope this could be of inspiration.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrzej Kluza

Re: Simple CONSTRUCTIVE answer quiz with assesment

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ho ho! smile

If you read some of my earlier posts you'll see that I'm actually AGAINST using ANY quizzes for anything but minor assessments. I haven't used them in my own teaching except as a "fun" activity to summarise highlights in a course.

That said, they are a very popular educational tool and it was sheer public pressure that made me add the quiz module in version 1.0.6. Now it's here, though, I find it's a nice thing to have in the toolbox.

The exact example you've given can actually be achieved using multiple choice OR short-answer questions (because you can specify MULTIPLE correct answers and their grades).

But from your description, I think what you're actually looking for is the "long answer" freeform question type that allows students to answer with anything up to a paragraph or two of text. This question type is planned but simply hasn't been done yet due to lack of time/volunteers. It's more difficult than the others because it can't be graded by the computer and requires manual grading by the teacher. In the meantime you can do something similar using journals or an uploaded assignment.

How does that sound?

(By the way, I would answer "Inside and Outside" to your example question wink )
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

What to do if students cheat?

by Andrzej Kluza -

Dear Martin and all readers!

I teach computer science basics, how to use network. I do belive that quizes can lower the interest in any topic. But please help me, what can I do.

a) I have not so much time on class. I teach programs using with many very little skills. So the open, wide questions are difficult to reach.
b) my students longing for making their work easier as possible. So if I gave them open questions they ask coleagues and answer what they hear, learning nothing. Especially this behaviour is easy in online assignments, as you don't know if this very student is doing his/her work or is cheating. I have mails with papers to submit for someone else: "Hi friend, here it's your homework for computer class as attachment" And this work was given to me without shame. Later I discovered. I am sad, because it works.
c) I want to construct a fair environment even if it could be not much comfortable. You probably know the situation that students don't give away their work or cheat. But for me it is great problem.

Hope you can understand and give me a suggestions.

Andrew.

PS. Why I can't use this type of reach text editor in describing an assignment?