Tech Tools for Teachers

Tech Tools for Teachers

by David Huston -
Number of replies: 2
I have created an html/mindmap outlining some of the more useful and creative Web 2.0 and "cloud computing" tools that have proved useful at my school.

All of them can be used creatively with Moodle, though they can also be used apart from Moodle.

I created the mindmap with Mindomo. our favorite browser-based mind mapping tool.

If you have favorites of your own that you have used profitably, please let me know. I'll give them a spin!

Hope this is helpful.

David Huston
Laurel School
Shaker Hts OH
dhuston@laurelschool.com
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Huston

Re: Tech Tools for Teachers

by Tammy Moore -

We have loved Cmap concept mapping tool. It is free from http://cmap.ihmc.us/download/index.php. Here are a few of the maps that we have created:

A very large family-tree diagram for my grandparents family line: If you see an icon at the bottom of the node, it will link you to photos of that person (linked via tags that are used by family members who contribute digital photo scans to our family Ning).

A student's full-year concept map portfolio: This was created by one of our students that really took to concept mapping. A few of the node links do not have much content, but the majority of them are quite full and elaborate.

More about Cmap:

The Cmaps can be hosted free on free Cmap servers so they not only can be shared as html files with the world but also so they can be used as a collaborative concept mapping tool. These have permission systems in place to allow members of the group to sign in either assynchronously or synchronously to work on the maps. Assynchronous communication is assisted by the ability to add forum tools to specific nodes. there is also a stick it note tool. Sysnchronous communication is assisted with a live chat system that automitically opens if more than one person is signed in to the map at the same time. My son used Cmap as a study group tool in college.

Tammy Moore