Copy existing course?

Copy existing course?

by Jim Lockwood -
Number of replies: 3

Is it possible to copy an existing course in version 1.8.2?

I created a course which is rather lengthy and wish to divide it into two parts.  Is it possible to make a copy so that I can just delete lessons in each part as needed?  Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Lockwood

Re: Copy existing course?

by Tony Hursh -
The easiest way is to make a backup from the Admin menu in the course, then restore the backup to a new course.

In reply to Jim Lockwood

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
There are entirely too many options. smile I use Tony's method. I actually backup the course as many times as parts that I want. I select just the Lessons I want for the new course when I do the backup and change the name of the backup to make it obvious which is which. This is easier than deleting courses from the same course restored for each of the parts. I have learned to leave the original in place for a bit (hide it) and not to use it as a new course.

I think there is also the import function which is available in 1.8 also in the Admin block. This allows the teacher to go to another course they teach and bring in modules and resources. But I use Tony's method.

Hope this helps you and others
Best Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Paula Clough -

I think I would use Tony's method more often than not. 

I tried the import feature and I had to do a lot of work on my images in the new course which I wouldn't have to do if I used a back up from the original course.

It's worth the work when you find that you have put way too much in one class.

Paula C cool