Indexing problem with Global Search

Indexing problem with Global Search

by Kevin Xu -
Number of replies: 4
Hey everyone, I am working on creating a video tutorial for setting up and using Global Search for GHOP and I ran into a little problem.

I am using the Moodle Demo and have done all the necessary steps to get Global Search running (enabled, settings, added it) but now I am up to the part where I need to index all the files. I go to statistics and click "indexersplash.php" and then a new window pops up with a bunch of text in Courier New comes up saying it is processing some modules for indexing but after that it just stops. There is definitely a document in the chat section because I added it but for some reason it is not indexing.
Server Time: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 14:21:40 +0900

Warning: Indexing was not successfully completed last time, restarting.

Using /var/www/demo/moodledata/search as data directory.
Deleting old index entries.
Starting activity modules

18 modules found.
31 blocks found.
Processing module function chat_get_content_for_index ...
I know for large courses indexing might take a while but this is the Moodle Demo with only one file so shouldn't it be fast? I keep going back to the Statistics page and this is what I see.

79935812cx0.png

Then I try searching for the file that was supposed to be in chats to no luck. Someone please help!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Xu

Re: Indexing problem with Global Search

by Yu Zhang -
Hi Kevin,

I think the problem with this is that demo.moodle.org has low memory limit, are you able to do this on your local server? Also, for this project I do not think you need to demonstrate indexing of files, just the database would be fine. smile

Cheers,

Yu
In reply to Yu Zhang

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
The memory limit is on 96M - I had to bump it up to 500M (on a rather large site) before I got there.
Another possibility is that the libraries to read php an doc are not working very well on the linux distro of the server. (see php logs for more info)
In reply to koen roggemans

by Valery Fremaux -

Indeed, the first indexing procedure is huge consuming of resources. I may think about allowing a preparation phase that would first ask to convert all stuff to text and then index directly files using that conversion. It would really save a lot of memory in the indexing process, but is quite difficult to organise smoothly for administrators, specially if the site is really large and has thousand of resources.

I keep that idea growing...

In reply to Valery Fremaux

by Kevin Xu -
Thank you all for your feedback. I am still not able to locate the problem but if it is located on Moodle Demo then I am unable to run this on my local server due to current conditions at my house.

I think for my video I will do everything up to that point and then explain what happens next. Hopefully this will explain enough for all teachers to understand.