Podcasting: Using Moodle to Distribute Podcasts?

Podcasting: Using Moodle to Distribute Podcasts?

by Ken Tuley -
Number of replies: 8
didn't see another place to post this, so I'm posting here. Hope it's ok.

I want my students to be able to produce their podcasts using GarageBand.
I'd like to use my moodle setup as the server for these podcasts.

Do I need one of the modules? (it appears most of the 4 I found are for creating and hosting podcasts)

Can a student just upload the podcast as part of an assignment?
Can a student just upload the podcast as a file, or a forum post attachment?

What's the options I have here? and obviously what's the best practices?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

running 1.8.x on a mac 10.4 server

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Tuley

Re: Podcasting: Using Moodle to Distribute Podcasts?

by Larry Elchuck -
Hi Ken

I believe that the answer to both of your questions is yes .... if you only want them to upload the podcasts for teacher viewing, use the assignment activity. If you want all course users to view the media, use the forum activity.

You need to have the multimedia plugin filter turned on at the site level for these movies/podcasts to play inline.

larry
In reply to Larry Elchuck

by Robin Martin -
I wish to do the same thing as the above post. OK I set up the forum uploading the podcast just fine. But I am looking for a way for the other students in class to listen to their peers podcasts without having to download them all to their desktop to listen to them. Is there a way we can listen to them as embedded files?

Robin Martin...
In reply to Robin Martin

by Albert Dudley -
I am just guessing here, but since we can embed files directly from youtube.
One could create a home page and place the clips there and link to them?
AD
In reply to Ken Tuley

by Eric Hagley -
Your students shouldn't have to download the files if you are running a recent version of moodle with the multi media setting (admin/modules/filters) turned on. When students upload their files automatically a little player will appear beside the file.

Things to note:
1 mp3 files are the ideal.
2 forums are not open to the www in general so it is a limited podcast that you are creating.
3 if you haven't increased the file size upload limit on your forum the podcast file will not be accepted. (the default is 500kb which is only about 30 seconds of quality audio. (By reducing the bitrate and other factors you can get longer time with smaller files)

Hope this helps.
In reply to Ken Tuley

by Chick Beckley -
Ken,

There is a difference between an audio file and a podcast. The thing that makes something a podcast isn't that it's a sound file that one plays in a browser or an MP3 player, it is the fact that one can subscribe to "episodes".

Sound files are sound files, nothing spectacular or special about making those accessible in Moodle.

If you want to have true podcasts available to people on your Moodle site, I would suggest using the Remote RSS Feeds block and put them on your front page or in a course.

There are 2 steps to this:

1. Getting your sound files accessible as podcasts. This requires that you have the sound files WITH the .xml files on a server somewhere so you can point the RSS URL to them. Garage Band will create the .XML files that make a sound file into a podcast.

2. Putting the URL of the podcast into the RSS Feed editing window.

There is are a couple of Podcasting Modules available for Moodle, , and I've tried iPodcast for a client. It was hard to install and really all it did was play sound files. It didn't allow for publishing podcasts. At least I couldn't get it to work to do so.

INWICAST looks promising and I will try installing it and giving it a run.

However, right now, we just publish our podcasts on our server and iTunes and point the RSS feed in Moodle to our server.

Hope this helps.

- Chick Beckley
In reply to Chick Beckley

by Ken Tuley -
Thanks Chick....
After much thought about this issue and others about posting student's work in multiple "formats" that's the conclusion I have come to as well.

Use Moodle for assignments and other communications... put the podcasts, and other type files on another server...... with moodle linking to that server.

Appreciate the comments. and do let us know what you discover with inwicast.

Ken

In reply to Ken Tuley

by Robin Martin -
Ken and Chick,
I put my podcasts on our OSX server and used the rss block and that worked just great! The podcasts play in the browser, just as I expected!
Thanks for the tips....

Robin Martin
In reply to Chick Beckley

by Vicki Dunnam -

Question:  Have you been able to backup/restore a course in Moodle with podcasts?  When I backup/restore.... the links to the podcasts are gone within the course.  The files are still located in the podcast folder but the links are gone.  Any suggestions on how to remedy that?