Clarifying the roles interface

Re: Clarifying the roles interface

by Ray Lawrence -
Number of replies: 0
Hi,

Here area few additional thoughts on this....

When setting up an activity, resource for the first time it's not user friendly to then have to go back to it, re-open and then select the Roles tab. My vote is for there to be a "Save settings and assign roles" button as an option on the settings page. This will improve the work flow no end. The resulting page will have the overrides tab displayed if allows for that user's role. The button should not available for subsequent amendments to the settings page.

The eventual layout of the tabs etc. must be consistent for category, course, activity, block, front page and user contexts.

The use of the word "local" makes sense to those with some insight into computer terminology but is not helpful to the vast majority of Moodle users who are not. My suggestion: use terminology such as "Assign roles for this activity" as this makes sense to everyone.

The terminology needs to settle down i.e. overrides or modify permissions.

I agree with the proposal for a course page assign roles icon for activities and resources.

The addition of names to the assign roles table is very useful, a similar list of the capabilities/permissions for overrides could be good too to saving having to enter each role to review the overrides.

I've been told a lot lately that the facility to get an overview of all role assignments in a course i.e. including activities, resources, blocks would be a great help. This could be very busy indeed but at the moment a review of assigned roles is potentially a very tedious process.

An indicator that some users have been assigned to roles at a higher context would be useful in troubleshooting conflicts and help guard against unexpected results.