Game Show/Quiz Creation Programs

Game Show/Quiz Creation Programs

by Todd Thornton -
Number of replies: 6

I'm looking for additional tools to integrate more games/fun exercises (in addition to Hot Potatoes which I currently use) into my online classes and I figure others are in the same boat as myself since some software tools that were designed for use in the classroom are now rolling out e-learning/online versions. I thought this thread could server as a growing list of possible content creation resources. I'd appreciate anyone that has any other tools/software they use or they know about to add to this list so I (and others) can evaluate. I don't necessarily think they'll be many open source solutions, but these programs can be quite expensive and prices seem to vary wildly so just knowing most all the current options available would be a huge benefit.

Gameshow Style Flash Quizzes
Gameshow Pro 
Game Show Presenter

Decision Based Scenarios
Quandary

Thanks,
Todd

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Todd Thornton

Re: Game Show/Quiz Creation Programs

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Fling the Teacher is a great free one: http://www.contentgenerator.net/fling/

... and many more here: http://www.contentgenerator.net/
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Art Lader -

My kids really enjoy the Content Generator stuff. They just pop right into Moodle. And those resource work very well on a Smart Board, too.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Todd Thornton -

Thanks for the link Martin. I didn't know about Content Generator and I can see why Art's kids also enjoy those. I teach adults so my issue with trying to find games is that most games are a little too cartoonish particular when they include childlike graphics. (Monkey's swinging from balloons, etc.) I understand that's probably where the largest market is and I might be able to use a couple of the games at Content Generator like Walk the Plank or Interactive Diagram, but it seems to me there's a real void in software that would allow anyone to create games for adults. (Particularly in E-learning)

I'm also going to try out the plugin/block mentioned for Moodle. I certainly like the idea of using existing resources within Moodle to create games.

FYI- I did find a PDF handout online from a session at a recent training conference called "You Don't Need to be a Programmer to Create E-Learning Games" in case anyone reading this thread is interested. They include a short list of game creation software titles. (A few of the links are not valid)

Todd

by Alistair Gill -
At a recent staff training evening (admittedly aimed at Content Generator and Moodle) our staff actually responded to content generator as well as the kids do!

It works quite well universally through the smart~boards (or maybe we have some very immature staff :D )

by Christos Karakirios -

I have tested (not thoroughly I can tell) a new module I found at http://bdaloukas.gr/moodle/course/view.php?id=15. In this course, you can download a free module (under GPL license) which takes inputs from quizzes, glossaries and ... I don't remember what else and gives the reply through games. There are several games included, as hangman, crosswords, cryptex, snakes & ladders, sudoku and millionnaire. (Link is on "Topic 2: Download of version 2.3: version 1.3.2a...)

The point is, giving the definition, to ask for the correct word. Let's say for example a crossword who takes input from a glossary: in the glossary you have a lot of words (for me associated with the relevant lesson) and you are giving the definition. When crossword is installed and related with this glossary, it asks you how many rows and columns should it have. After that, it creates a random crossword according to the inputs. Next time (after a student finishes this crossword, another one will be created for him/her. As more inputs we have in a glossary/quiz, the more choices we'll get. I had fun with it and we're planning to try it in an elementary school next year (September) in order to do some research how games influence educational activity. 

Hope I helped you abit. Be well wink

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.