Error when choosing htm file

Error when choosing htm file

by Ted G -
Number of replies: 18

After I successfully upload a Hotpot htm file, I receive the "A required parameter was missing" error message and the quiz is not created. I'm using a Windows based server. Any ideas on how I can fix the problem?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ted G

Re: Error when choosing htm file

by Fermin Rubio -
I have got the same problem that you. I'm using a Linux RedHat based sever.
Anyone can help us? Thks

In reply to Fermin Rubio

by Thomas Robb -
I'll try to get this problem fixed soon. Something seems to have changed with Moodle version 1.3.

In the meantime, if you simply type in the path to where your hotpot html file exists rather than using the "choose this file" link, you can still make it work.
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Eneko Arriaga -

Hi Thomas,

I also have the same problem as Ted and Fermin, but what I find strange is that  if I type in the path, I get the same error or very similar. I tried with both the absolute path from an FTP and an absolute path from Moodles file manager.

The error is:
Warning: file("/var/www/vhost/academiaelearning.com/home/html/moodledata/2/http://www.academiaelearning.com//file.php/2/pic_test.htm") - No such file or directory in /var/www/vhost/academiaelearning.com/home/html/mod/hotpot/hotpot.php on line 97
Could not read file!

¿Any idea? Thanks,

Eneko

In reply to Eneko Arriaga

by Max Woodtli -

Hi

I also had the same problem. But if I type only the html-file without a path, then it works.

I uploaded the html-file via the moodle file manager.

Hope it helps

Max

In reply to Max Woodtli

by Michele Balazs -

I tried that ie uploading the file via file manager. and typing in the html file without a path. There was no error, but when it is used no grades are recorded.

Michele

In reply to Thomas Robb

by Ted G -
Thanks for the solution. It worked to simply type the name of the file once it had been uploaded. It is an awesome module!
In reply to Ted G

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Using Hot potatoes Module version.php,v 1.2 2004/05/08 & Moodle version 1.3 stable.

Have authored a sample JCloze exercise using Hot Potatoes version 6.0 Release 3 Build 38.

Can't upload hot potatoes HTML file:

a) by using File manager: error message "A required parameter was missing";

b) by typing the file's path & name directly in the File name box & clicking Save changes: error message "No action was specfied"

Tested with IE 6.0 & NS 7.1.

Thanks in advance for help.

Joseph R.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

回應: Re: Error when choosing htm file

by LongChin Chang -

I got the same problem using easyphp 1.7 in windows xp.

I will try in redhat 9.

Any helps will be appreciated.

Alex Chang

by Ted G -
Thanks to Max, I follow this procedure to get a Hot Pot file to publish: Once you add a new Hot Potatoes Quiz, fill out the form with the necessary information. Then, click the "Choose or upload file" button. Next, click the "Upload a file" button, type the path to the htm file that was created with Hot Potatoes and saved to your computer (or click the "Browse" button to find it) and click the "Upload this file" button. Instead of using the button to "choose" the file, type the exact name of the htm file (with the .htm extension) that was uploaded and click the "Save changes" button. It has worked every time, including the scoring.
In reply to Ted G

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ted

I must be missing a step in your "procedure" for publishing a HotPor file; I still can't get it to work. Why does it not work "normallly" anyway. I'm quoting your procedure below and have added my comments in red.

Once you add a new Hot Potatoes Quiz, fill out the form with the necessary information. Then, click the "Choose or upload file" button. OK

Next, click the "Upload a file" button, type the path to the htm file that was created with Hot Potatoes and saved to your computer (or click the "Browse" button to find it) and click the "Upload this file" button. OK

What should I do NOW ? exit the Choose or upload file window?

Instead of using the button to "choose" the file, ...  where exactly are we now? ...

... type the exact name (and path?) of the htm file (with the .htm extension) that was uploaded and click the "Save changes" button.

Thanks in advance for pointing me to a working solution...

Joseph_R

by Ted G -
Sorry about that, I left out a step.

Once the file has been uploaded, close the "file upload/choosing" window. The "Adding a New Hot Potatoes Quiz" page should still be up on the screen. Then type the exact name, and only the name (no path information but include the .htm extension), of the file that was just uploaded into the text entry box labeled "File Name." Lastly, click the "Save changes" button.

I hope this makes it more clear.
In reply to Ted G

by Joseph Rézeau -

Ted, thanks for the information. I am quoting your latest message with my comments in red below.

Once the file has been uploaded, close the "file upload/choosing" window. The "Adding a New Hot Potatoes Quiz" page should still be up on the screen. Then type the exact name, and only the name (no path information but include the .htm extension), of the file that was just uploaded into the text entry box labeled "File Name."

• IF you uploaded the HotPot HTML file to the root of your moodledata directory, just type the name of the file, e.g. myCloseQuiz.htm
  • IF you uploaded the HotPot HTML file to a subdirectory of your moodledata directory, type that path as well, e.g. /archeo/hotpotatoes/myCloseQuiz.htm (/archeo being a subdirectory of the moodledata directory)

Lastly, click the "Save changes" button.

Joseph_R

Path names HotPot and graphics?

by David M. Kennedy -

Dear Joseph

I was wondering, has anyone tried to use the Hot Potatoes environment with graphics (or sound or video) embedded in the questions?

I have tried with Moodle 1.3.1 and the latest version of Hot Pot but to no avail.  The graphics seem to be placed in a different directory and there seems no way to keep the Hot Potatoes functionality and correct the path name. It is all a moot point, however, as I get error messages everytime I try to create a HotPot quiz - messages like the ones decribed above and I think I have misunderstood the work-arounds as my success rate is zero at creating a working hotpot test.

Any help or advice welcomed.

regards
David K

PS

I have a small test file if anyone would like to try it - very simple primary science resource, but it will give an idea of the problem.

In reply to David M. Kennedy

Re: Path names HotPot and graphics?

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi David.

Your query was precisely the object of my suggestion posted in this thread:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5493&parent=51874

At the moment, the only workaround I have found is as follows: after the Moodle Hot Potatoes module has successfully converted your HP HTML file and saved it to the \hotpot subdirectory of your Course files directory, you can move your graphics files there "by hand":

1. when logged in as Teacher, go to Administration|Files;
  2. locate your graphics files (image1.jpg, image2.jpg, etc.) and check each one;
  3. in the With chosen files droplist, choose Move to another folder, and follow the instructions. (By the way, we should have a "Copy to another Folder" option in that droplist as well.. )

I have installed your Thunderstorms quiz to my local Moodle site & tested it, it works OK, and I can see the graphics as well, after using the little workaround mentioned above. By the way, your Thunderstorms activity would probably be a good candidate for the JMatch program in Hot Potatoes, rather than JQuiz.

All the best,

Joseph_R

Re: Path names HotPot and graphics?

by David M. Kennedy -

Many thanks Joseph

I will try as you have suggested later today.  BTW, the quiz was developed by a couple of my students (primary teachers). I will pass on the suggestion.

Rain and storms are a serious topic where we live, especially in summer.

Regards

David K

In reply to Ted G

Linking an Hot Pot File

by Asha Chauhan -

I would like to put an <a href.....> link  within the text of one of my lesson pages but when viewed the link is not active. It just shows the whole code.

I am linking to a Hot Pot Page quiz.

Any help?