Editing Summary on front page

Editing Summary on front page

by Luke Wells -
Number of replies: 9

I have added some writing onto the front page of my moodle 1.8 by editing the summary of the topic

Now when i hover over the edit button i dont get the hand symbol and i am therefore unable to edit the text anymore. Does anyone know what is causing this. Is there another way i can get to the code of the page to edit it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luke Wells

Re: Editing Summary on front page

by Mauno Korpelainen -

...or try click your name and select from Edit user profile  -> When editing text ... Use standard web forms

(then you don't get editor buttons but it is not a site wide change)

change code, save and change profile back to

Use HTML editor

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Luke Wells -
my problem is that i cant launch the editor on the summary. When i hover over the edit symbol it displays the alt text saying edit summary but i cant actually click it to edit it. I wondered if there was another way of getting at the code for the page to edit it other than through the moodle interface
In reply to Luke Wells

by Mauno Korpelainen -

You have still many ways to edit that. If you have phpmyadmin look at table

mdl_course_sections

and edit that field with phpmyadmin.

Or try

http://yourserveraddress/course/editsection.php?id=2

so that editor is not on (choose web forms instead of html editor from your profile first if the editor does not open)

That "hand icon" may vanish if section has for example some javascript or too large iframes or some content that breaks html code (unclosed tags). Htmlarea has a capability to break valid code (for example javascript event handlers) so that it may work once but when you edit it again editing may stop working. Try also another browser...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Karen King -
Thank you Mauno, you really helped me out.
One of my users had locked himself out of a summary section by filling it with three tables, and combining your "editsection" tip with View Source in IE to find the right ID for the affected section solved the problem and allowed me to delete the problem html.

by Luke Wells -

i've realised the bit i specifically have the problem with is the topic on the front page. I cannot edit the summary of it though i could before

In reply to Luke Wells

by Andrea Gregory (Gordon) -

Does that link not work?

What section exactly is it on the front page? ......there's a way around everything smile

In reply to Andrea Gregory (Gordon)

by Luke Wells -
no the link doesnt work....it is the topic section summary i am trying to edit