Removal of unwanted lang files for 3rd party plugins

Removal of unwanted lang files for 3rd party plugins

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Starting with version 1.7, the appropriate place for language files for 3rd-party modules & plugins to reside is the lang folder within the plugin folder. Unfortunately, a number of 3rd-party plugins - which maybe were at some time in the past considered for inclusion in the Moodle core files - are still residing with the moodle/lang/en_utf8 folder. Some of those files are in fact pretty old, useless, and they conflict with the newer, update language files residing in their proper 3rd-party plugin folders

Such is at the moment the case for the Questionnaire module language files in 1.7 and 1.8. However, those files have disappeared from 1.9 and 2.0 (head), which is OK.

Can a developer with the necessary CVS rights please remove all the Questionnaire module language files from Moodle 1.7 and 1.8 (including the help files)?

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

PS.- Maybe the maintainers of other 3rd-party modules want to check for this problem for their own lang. files.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Removal of unwanted lang files for 3rd party plugins

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Oops, just noticed this problem has already been mentioned in MDL-10649.
Can someone do something about it please?
Joseph

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Joseph - I'm not sure much needs to be done. With regards to questionnaire, the folder will show if you browse CVS; however, when users grab Moodle if they use the -dP option (as recommended in docs) then the empty folders are pruned and not downloaded. I checked my latest downloads of 18STABLE, 19STABLE, and HEAD and the /lang/en_utf8/help/questionnaire directory is not created and thus should not conflict with anything. Deleting folders on a CVS server is difficult. It may be possible if MartinD moves off of sourceforge.net but for the time being I cannot think of anything else that could or should be done. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Joseph Rézeau -

Anthony, Thanks for your reply.

1- Since I use TortoiseCVS for Windows I have no idea what you mean by the -dPoption. Can someone tell me where in TortoiseCVS I can enter that option? Ditto for Eclipse?

2- If you download a Moodle version from the Moodle Downloads page, the Questionnaire lang files are present in those packages:

• moodle-latest-18.zip
  • moodle-1.8.3.zip

but absent from those ones:

• moodle-latest-19.zip
  • moodle-latest.zip

When you say "I checked my latest downloads of 18STABLE, 19STABLE, and HEAD and the /lang/en_utf8/help/questionnaire directory is not created and thus should not conflict with anything." How did you "check" those downloads? through CVS?

I am still confused and to not understand why deleting those superfluous folders in the 1.8 distributions should be so difficult to achieve.thoughtful

Joseph

by Anthony Borrow -
Joseph - I believe in Tortoise there was an option about pruning - you want to make sure that your downloads are set to prune empty directories. It is interesting that the files are showing up in the 1.8 zip files. That is worth looking into and seeing if we might eliminate that. I use Eclipse and create a CVS Project and do the downloads. If you go to Windows->Preferences->Team->CVS->Files and Folders you should see an option for prune empty directories. By checking, I meant that I downloaded the files and looked to see if the directories were on my local machine and they were not after getting them from CVS.

Here is a brief explanation of why something as simple as deleting a directory is so difficult in CVS (from http://sfsetup.sourceforge.net/tutorial_cvsbasics.html):

Removing files/folders: Removing files and folders under CVS is interested because it's impossible. Yes, that's right: you can't actually ever remove anything added to CVS, all you can do is effectively hide it. This is because CVS must be able to reconstruct the history of a file even after it has been deleted. You can't even hide folders either, the only way to remove a directory is to remove every file in it, and then CVS will automatically delete empty directories when you update

Peace - Anthony

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Eclipse does -dP automatically.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Anthony > I checked my latest downloads of 18STABLE, 19STABLE, and HEAD and the /lang/en_utf8/help/questionnaire directory is not created...

Sorry for insisting, but I doubt that the /lang/en_utf8/help/questionnaire directory would not be created for a cvs checkout of MOODLE_18_STABLE, since that questionnaire is not empty on sourceforge, while it is empty in MOODLE_19_STABLE (see attached screenshot)

And the questionnaire.php file is also still present (and will be downloaded) in /lang/en_utf8/ anyway. So I really have to insist and ask that some developer with the proper rights please delete those unwanted questionnaire language files from the sourceforge moodle repository, MOODLE_18_STABLE branch (and 17 too).

Peace - Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg

by Anthony Borrow -
Joseph - You are absolutely right, it was there (right under my nose) and I just overlooked it in the 18STABLE branch. Thanks for insisting. It looks like Mike has deleted them from both the 1.8 and 1.7 branches. Peace - Anthony

by Mike Churchward -
Joseph -

I have removed the 'questionnaire.php' file and the 'help/questionnaire' directory from the '/lang/en_utf8' directory in both MOODLE18_STABLE and MOODLE_183 version. I'm not really sure how it got there.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Joseph Rézeau -
Thanks, Mike. That solves it...
Joseph