Moodle Loads Too Long

Moodle Loads Too Long

by Clarence Carino -
Number of replies: 9
Good Day!

our moodle loads too long.. it takes roughly 20-40 secs to load.
can someone guide me?

i enabled "Performance" information in the footer

in the first line of the performance info, it says the time in secs. is this the load time it took? if it is then why it only takes 0.4-6.5 secs? it contradicsts on the actual load time whenever i visit the page.

and the load avg is just 0.04
included files are roughly 20-80 files it differs every load. why it is? i load the page w/o logging in so the files should be consistent. so why is it it differs?

our moodle usually serve approx 50++ users simultaneously on quizzes but thats not so frequent. most of the time, its for lesson purposes.

apache and mysql are running on the same machine

BTW,
we also have Gforge AS installed on that server but it loads faster than moodle
is it on apache or on moodle? in the vhost of moodle, it Options All and Allow Override All(Because i added a .htaccess for ferformance purposes i found that .htaccess code here on moodle forums)

gforge has all the default installed configurations.

Thank You

here's our site to test it out:
http://moodle.apc.edu.ph
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clarence Carino

Re: Moodle Loads Too Long

by Samuli Karevaara -
The time in the footer means how long it took for the server to produce the HTML for the page. The total "stopwatch" time is that + time to create other pages + download time.

For me it took 80 seconds to load the front page. But just the standard stylesheet (http://moodle.apc.edu.ph/theme/standard/styles.php) took 22 seconds. The Moodle README (a plain text file at http://moodle.apc.edu.ph/README.txt) took 2-4 seconds.

The stylesheet is loading a bit slowly... How is the bandwidth? Disk I/O?

Edit: Your standard stylesheet is also included twice in the header? It doesn't matter much, the second include is usually cached, but anyway it's there twice.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Clarence Carino -
but it only happened this week,
before it loads just fine..

ok i'll try using the default theme

what do you mean disk i/o? like fragmented or something? i'm using opensuse 10.2

by Samuli Karevaara -
"but it only happened this week,
before it loads just fine.."

Your Moodle site front page has an announcement from 26.10.: "Welcome to the latest version of Moodle". Perhaps Moodle was upgraded to 1.8, which is heavier than for example 1.6, and the server is maxing out?

You could try upgrading to the latest 1.8.3+, it has some performance fixes. Also, browse around this forum for other questions on performance issues. Many of them have suggestions for bottle necks to look for.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Clarence Carino -
did moodle do an automatic update?

because the last time we did the upgrade was last march or april and it was 1.7+

here's the history:

1) 2006: fresh install 1.5 or 1.6
2) 2007 march/april transferred moodle and database to a new server then upgraded it to 1.7

I did the banner thingy. and i did that last june. and moodle was 1.7+. i frequently editing the announcement that's why it changes to the date it was edited.

well gforge was loading smoothly. it stays on the same server. so i assume only moodle has the problem. as per database, our moodle database is roughly 80-85mb. before it was like 100++ MB because of the logs bug i "Emptied" the mdl_logs using phpmyadmin last july/august.

this december, well we'll be transferring our moodle on a dedicated server so that other application will not interfere and i was planning on instaling lighttpd instead of apache.

but before that i needed some workaround until the term finishes on december.

thank you

by Penny Leach -
You're not running moodle from a package manager are you (for example moodle is packaged in Debian) ?

If you are, and someone typed something like (Debian example) apt-get upgrade, then that would have upgraded all the installed packages on your system.

For example, if you were running Debian Sarge and upgraded to Debian Etch.

Or the relevant equivalent for other distributions of Linux
In reply to Penny Leach

by Clarence Carino -
nah.. before that time, i'm not aware that moodle is available on a software source.. smile

i just downloaded moodle then installed it.. :D

well as of now, moodle takes 13-25 secs to load unlike before

by Jai Gupta -
What is your server's port speed?

I recommend you to test by downloading a file of 10/100MB. You may want to upload any single file and give a link here.
In reply to Jai Gupta

by Clarence Carino -
is having a "sub website" slows down moodle?

i have another website under moodle. its a joomla website:

http://moodle.apc.edu.ph/forum

is this the one causing the slowdown?

by Ken Wilson -
Hi Clarence

I don't think Joomla would have that slowdown on Moodle - they should be separate databases, so they don't impact on each other. I've just tried to open the page, and the apart from a high load average of 3.75, there seems to be the slowdown that has been experienced before on Moodle 1.7.

So, it might be worthwhile going to Samuli's suggestions and resetting the theme back to the default standardwhite. If there is still no change, then an upgrade to 1.8.3+ would be worth trying also. Make sure you've gone through the suggestions in the Performance FAQ to help improve your server smile, and be careful to do a difference check on your database files when you upgrade.

Ken