WebRhubarb problem

WebRhubarb problem

ni Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 9
Hello Gordon,

I'm back with a problem this time.

I have a question to ask you about a WebRhubarb exercise with modified source files but I can't get it to open on your http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/18/ms/ site either with the html or the xml file. It's called "elephants".

I've uploaded it to two other Moodle sites (1.6.5 and 1.8.2) where it worked with no problem.

Best,
Glenys
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: WebRhubarb problem

ni Gordon Bateson -
Larawan ng Core developers Larawan ng Peer reviewers Larawan ng Plugin developers
Hi Glenys,

> a WebRhubarb exercise ... called "elephants"
Oh yes, I remember "elephants". That is a great series of HotPots.

> with modified source files
I wonder what was modified ?

> I can't get it to open ... either with the html or the xml file
FYI, the HotPot module will only recognize the html version of WebRhubarb exercises.

I will investigate and let you know what I find out.

BTW, I was working on that Moodle 1.8 site over the weekend implementing anonymous forums. I don't think what I was doing would have messed up the HotPot module, but there's always the possibility.

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

ni Gordon Bateson -
Larawan ng Core developers Larawan ng Peer reviewers Larawan ng Plugin developers
I think the problem was a typo in the html file

change this:
<h2 class="ExerciseTitle"><a style="cursor: pointer; onclick
to this:
<h2 class="ExerciseTitle"><a style="cursor: pointer;" onclick

add now it seems to work OK.

cheers
Gordon

ni Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon,

There's still a problem because it isn't really a "typo"; the html is automatically generated by Web Rhubarb and the error doesn't stop the exercise functioning here: Module 4 - Exercise 11: Text Reconstruction - Easy version Enrolment key: Rennes
Could this be a question for Martin Holmes?

It is generated, by the way from the html file (on your site, too: the one called Module 4 - Exercise 11: Text Reconstruction - Easy version Hot Potatoes Quiz comes from the html file, the one called elephants.htm is generated from the xml file).

The modifications (apart from some minor changes to layout) mean that only the vowels are removed from the text and each word has to be found individually (in the original if you type in "the" all the "the"s in the text appear). This is the work of my brilliant colleague Patrick Verguet.

All the best,
Glenys

ni Glenys Hanson -
Hello again,

Didn't think to check, but the unmodified version here Module 4 - Exercise 11: Text Reconstruction - Difficult version has the same error: <h2 class="ExerciseTitle"><a style="cursor: pointer; onclick

Cheers,
Glenys

ni Gordon Bateson -

Hi Glenys,
probably the difference in the two servers is the Moodle "Debugging" mode setting. [ Site Administration -> Server -> Debugging ]

On my site, I usually have the Debugging mode set to "DEVELOPER", which on a Moodle 1.8 site means that ALL errors, including HTML syntax errors, are reported.

The missing double quote, meant that the page did not confirm to strict XHTML syntax, and the browser refused to do anything more with the page. When I added the quote, then the syntax became valid and the page worked fine.

I would hazard a guess that the debugging setting on your site is something less than "DEVELOPER". In such a case, Moodle tells the browser not to be too fussy about syntax errors, and browser obeys and does its best to make sense of the HTML it is sent.

From what you say, the syntax error comes from the "source" templates for WebRhubarb, so I am sure Martin and Stewart would be glad to hear about the missing double quote.

HTH
Gordon

ni Glenys Hanson -
Hi Gordon,

The problem was me! blush Copying and pasting my Centre's logo from an old version of HP to a new one.

I've cleaned up and regenerated the exercise and the W3C Markup Validation service says: "This Page Is Valid XHTML 1.1!

I've uploaded the new one to your site (and removed all the old stuff).
Now on your site the html version creates the exercise no problem but not the xml version

Why's that?

I'll also ask the question I wanted to ask in the first place: Most of my students can do these exercises with no problem but a few of them say they have difficulty saving the exercise. When I go and look in Moodle, the exercise is actually saved, but they have the impression it's not. Could the above problem (invalid markup) be the cause of this?

All the best,
Glenys

Oh, and now I know what HTH means. The Glossary is a very neat tool.

ni Gordon Bateson -

> the html version creates the exercise no problem but not the xml version
> Why's that?

Well, as I mentioned earlier ...

FYI, the HotPot module will only recognize the html version of WebRhubarb exercises.

> a few of (my students) say they have difficulty saving the exercise

Do they get stuck at a blank screen, or one that says (in French) "Server cannot be found", with the URL being something like the following:
http://myserver.com/moodle/mod/hotpot/attempt.php

ni Glenys Hanson -
Hello Gordon,

"Well, as I mentioned earlier ...

FYI, the HotPot module will only recognize the html version of WebRhubarb exercises."

Of course you'd mentioned it earlier! blush blush blush But some HP exercises do open with the xml version - I get confused.

I'll wait for the next student to complain and then try to get all the details.

Thanks again!
Glenys

ni Gordon Bateson -
Hi Glenys,
sorry for any confusion.

Basically, the types of quiz that the HtPot module can run from the XML file are as follows:
  • quizzes made with Hot Potatoes v6
    (JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix and JQuiz)
The HotPot module can run the following quizzes from the HTML file:
  • quizzes made with Hot Potatoes v6
    (JCloze, JCross, JMatch, JMix and JQuiz)
  • quizzes made with TexToys v3 (WebSeqitur and WebRhubarb)
  • quizzes which use Michael Rottmerier's JCloze modifications
    (Find-It 3a+3b and DropDown 2.4)
Additionally, some quizzes which the current HotPot module cannot handle are:
  • Masher index files
  • JMatch's FlashCard format
  • Michael Rottmerier's JGloss format
  • Michael Rottmerier's JMemori format
The next version of the HotPot module will have the capability to handle all the above files and more, but we'll have to wait a little longer for that.

best regards
Gordon