Apache Request Spikes

Apache Request Spikes

by Jez H -
Number of replies: 3
Hello All,

I am seeing spikes in traffic five or six times the normal level.
We have several thousand users so I do not think that, for example, a single class of students logging on at the same time would be the cause of the problem.

In the worst cases Moodle go's down with the error:

There is a problem with moodle getting error message.
"Error: Database connection failed. It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly. The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php"

Spikes last a few minutes before service resumes.

I am using version 1.8.1 and am wondering if there are any known issues that could cause this, for example are there any pages that can go into a loop sending high numbers of requests back to the server?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jez H

Re: Apache Request Spikes

by Matt Gibson -
Try adding members to a group within a large course and see what that does. There's a thread in the groups forum about how it can hang for 2-3 mins.
In reply to Jez H

Re: Apache Request Spikes

by Alex DePena -
Check your Mysql config files. Tweak the values for total connections allowed, and or the connection time out values. Also check to see what the total number of open files is on the server. The database may be constrained by this value. Make this value very large 200,000 or more if possible.