Student in the driver seat..

Student in the driver seat..

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 6

Now we train in the spirit of SC+ students to use Moodle more and more as their personal ToDo list in week and topics views, three student needs are growing:

• When students deliver their work and got a grade in the grades, they want to see a checkmark behind that task in the sections. (we work on this one)  
  • For task that do not end up in a grade (like reading a text) they wish to have an option to check it by hand. (student must be able to do it.)
  • And third: they wish to add several personal ToDo tasks in each course in the sections view. (So it can also become visible in their calendar as course related)

Especially for older students this third option will give them the chance to start with a course related personal planning....

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Checkmarks/flags on activities

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, I like this. (Finally, Ger! wink ) It's given me an idea for an implementation, too.

There could be a table called something like "completed" ... with these fields:

- id
- coursemoduleid
- userid
- timeupdated

It contains entries when the activity has been marked done by that person (and doesn't when they haven't).

It should be computationally cheap to grab this array for one person and put flags all the way down the right hand side of the course page (in course/format/*/format.php). For example, a small flag would be shown for any activity that does NOT have an entry in the array (which means there is something to do here).

Now, all the modules have to do is update their own flags as necessary, because only they know what needs to be done. For example, reading a resource would add an entry for the current user, and updating a resource would DELETE all entries for that coursemoduleid. A post in a forum would delete entries for all other people in the course. A quiz could set the entry when a specified grade had been achieved. And so on.

This same structure would then be a natural basis of the activity linking code.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Checkmarks/flags on activities

by Tom Murdock -
I'm moving towards this, too. Would it be possible for teachers to create a kind of remedial todo list (Johnny, please visit X quiz and Y lesson and add this word to Z journal) for students? I find myself making these kinds of requests whenever I assess, but not having a way to track the actions.

Or am I describing something very different? If so, I'll shut up. wink

-Tom
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Bryan Williams -
One of those kinds of ideas that's so good and obvious, you wonder why it hasn't already been done. 
In reply to Bryan Williams

by John Papaioannou -
Sounds like one of those things that would make the 1.4 development version very popular! wink
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Ger Tielemans -

Like the Wiki it would be nice if - in this case the student - could set the user rights: personal - (me and my teacher?) - my group - all course users...

On the higher levels students could use Moodle for planning their final projects in steps (topic view) or in weeks (week view) and invite others to collab with them.. 

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Ger Tielemans -

For the todo's:

• If you allow students to edit the label (and do filtering) could that fullfill the need of a student to add extra todo's?
  • when you rename a resource into the activity "study this resource",
    then you could give students two checkmark boxes: one for skip, and one for done:
    Both show up as checked, in hoover-over the student can see which choice it was..
    (for refection purposes)