"Student" role does not see network

"Student" role does not see network

by Cynthia Alexander -
Number of replies: 5
I have set up two Moodle sites with networking and it seems to be working just fine with all roles EXCEPT "student".  I have changed the permissions for the student role to allow networking on both sites.  When I test this by logging in as a student, I do not see the Networking block on the home page and when I click on a link to the other site, I am asked to add myself as a user to that site.  Again, the other roles seem to have no problems and when following the same procedures (logging in to site A then clicking on a link to site B, they are simply asked to enroll in a course).  The other roles do see the Networking block on the home page.  I have even added the test student under roles under Front Page.  Any ideas what I'm either doing wrong or what I can do to make this work?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cynthia Alexander

Re: "Student" role does not see network

by Donal McMullan -
I'm a bit confused! smile

So - if the networking block doesn't appear for students, then what link are you clicking on to SSO to the other Moodle site? Is it just any old link? The links that appear in the network block are specially crafted: They actually link to a page called jump.php on the local Moodle, which does some work and redirects the user to the remote Moodle.

So - it's not possible to make single-sign-on happen without clicking on a link from the networking block. Let's assume that this is the problem you're having... we need to make the networking block appear for you student user.

Is the student enrolled as a student in the site course? If not, then the networking block won't appear when the student user is at the Moodle homepage.

If you think this might be the problem, could you try enabling the network block on a course that the student is enrolled in? If this doesn't work, please update this forum, so that we can investigate further.

Thanks Cynthia!

In reply to Donal McMullan

by Cynthia Alexander -

Sorry, I was suscribed to this forum but didn't get a notification that I had been replied to.  When I got notification someone else had a similar (but not the same) problem, I looked to see what their problem was and found your reply.

Anyway, I have one install of Moodle (1.8.2+) with many, many sites using the one install.  I am at a County Office of Education and we are supporting numerous school districts, education programs, and a series of online courses that I have written.  I have enabled networking with the online course site and with one of the education programs.  We want to offer the online courses as a "freebie" to those enrolled in the education program.  I have also enable networking in the program.  When I login as a teacher, course creator, administrator, I can see the network block on the program site to the courses site.  Good.  When I login as a student, however, I do not see the block.  This means that the students (actually program participants) must go to the courses site and login a second time.  The students have the same roles and permissions on both sites.

Did I answer your question?

by mauro mascia -
hello. i have similar problem , in particular if the role it is assigned in the system assignmets , loggin by roaming thru a moodle hub it work. but if the role is assigned in the course , does not work. any idea?

by Nagi Saeed -
Hi there,

I had the same issue on V. 1.9.3. I managed to get the Network Services block to work by allowing “Roam to a remote Moodle” to all roles above the Student role.
Hope that works for you on V. 1.8
Cheers,
Nagi