Only one topic at a time?

Only one topic at a time?

by Nigel Percy -
Number of replies: 2
Having spent some time looking around in the forums, I don't think anyone so far has come up with a solution to this problem....

Is it possible to only show one topic at a time to students who will all be enrolling at different times? That way, the main page is uncluttered and they get to focus on the topic completely without dashing off elsewhere.

Of course, it would be OK if previous topics were available as well, but the main thing would be to hide future topics until the work has been completed....

Any thoughts on this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nigel Percy

Re: Only one topic at a time?

by Cindi Allison -
Nigel, there is a way to "hide" topics. Click "Turn editing on" while at the main screen of your course, and you'll see an eye to the right of your topic. Just click the eye; it closes, and the topic is hidden from your students. Another way to hide a topic from students is to click the "hide" choice when you're creating a topic. Click the drop-down menu next to "Visible" and select "Hide." Be sure to click "Save changes" when finished. Good luck!

In reply to Cindi Allison

Re: Only one topic at a time?

by Nigel Percy -
Thanks Cindi, however, this doesn't solve the problem. I really would like to be able to set the topics to be interactive in a way, so that when any student finishes a topic then (and only then) do they get to see the next one. Your solutions are fine but only in the global sense, whereas I'm really looking for the individual interactive.

Having said that of course, I think I've got the solution!!

If I set up a webpage as the intro page for each topic with all resources and activities shown as links on that page, then I can also place a link to the url which can copy when I show only one topic at a time. That way, they can click on the NEXT TOPIC link and get to see only that (or whatever else I want to allow them to see).

Now all I need is a way of showing the link conditional upon they're having completed the assignments!! Ah! Utopia is just around the corner!