student management

student management

by Andrew MacDowell -
Number of replies: 4

Does Moodle have a way of managing students from one grade to the next? Like when they finish 1st grade courses, can you move them into 2nd grade couses? Or graduate them?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew MacDowell

Re: student management

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Andrew - Not really but the real answer depends on what you mean by moving them from one grade to the next. If you are talking about enrollment in course the answer is no because Moodle does not know the logic behind students moving from one course to another. Other than categories there is no real relationship between the courses. There are however ways of using phpmyadmin to accomplish such things pretty easily but it would require that you have someone that understands what you are trying to accomplish and a pretty good knowledge of sql commands and the Moodle table structures. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Andrew MacDowell

by Al Padkowsky -
You can graduate your entire class. When creating the next course, chose yes to the meta course question. When you save your changes on that screen, the next screen will ask for the child course. Chose the first course and all the students will now be enrolled in the second course.

Here's the drawback: for the third level course, you must re-use the first course to populate the students into the third level. Because the second course is a meta course, it cannot be a child for other meta courses.
In reply to Al Padkowsky

by Max Wild -
I think that somebody need to give greater thought to the management of the enrollment of students on courses - particularly for the school environment.
An immediate improvement would be to recognise that the Course ID Number of a course does not need to be unique in Moodle and then take advantage of this. This would allow the automatic linking of two courses in Moodle to 1 group of students in the school MIS timetable. At the moment the first course is enrolled but the second and subsequent course are ignored.
We link to Subject and year to enroll all students studying subject X in year Y into a particular Moodle course. Of course there is usually more than one class in each year but there seems to be no way of creating groups in the Moodle courses using this information.
So a lot of this has to be done by hand which is not efficient.
Sometimes we want two years to access the same course and this again requires manual intervention.
I realise that Moodle came out of Higher Education but surely there are sufficient schools now on board who would welcome these sort of facilities?
Maxwell Wild
Manchester High School for Girls

In reply to Max Wild

by Al Padkowsky -

Having a ‘global group’ functionality to assign students to courses was originally scheduled for release 1.8, then postponed to 1.9 and now hopefully we’ll finally see it in release 2.0.

My temp workaround was to create 17 child courses that divide my audience by job function / competency modeling. These 17 child courses become my master groups. All existing users were copied from an excel spreadsheet into a “flat file”. One line in the flat file for each user and that line included the course code for one or more of the child courses on each user line , thereby enrolling them into the child course(s). New users register via an external app and I add them to a child course using the same flat file function.

When we create new courses, they are almost all meta courses and we grant access to these meta courses by selection of the child course(s). The new courses are not self-enrollable and only students added by this method have access to the new (meta) course.